Flatten and smooth the TEMAC field

Started by Michael, April 24, 2007, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

OPEN DISCUSSION

Many members who fly regularly at TEMAC have expressed the desire for a smooth field. Recently I have said that I will rent a 1 or 2-ton roller to flatten and smooth the field at TEMAC.

John Werner, who has devoted a lot of effort in developing our field, has always been against this idea. He has always suggested filling the holes in the field with earth and planting more grass seeds in these areas.

I devote an enormous amount of time and energy to TEMAC. I don't have additional time to acquire the materials needed to properly fill the holes and level the field, the time to do the work, nor the time to organize the members to do this work.

If any member, or group of TEMAC members, want to take the initiative to acquire the materials, organize and complete the work to significantly improve the field, TEMAC will gladly pay about $200 for materials towards this effort.

Unless I am notified that someone will do the job, I will rent a roller and flatten the field in about 2 weeks.

Please consider that we do not have a long term lease on the land.

Michael
Michael

bfeist

I vote to roll the field (sorry John). Filling holes may be better for the overall health of the lawn, but that's not our primary focus. It has been a few years now waiting for the field to flatten itself and it's time we take action.

I'm tired of tearing the bottom of my plane off on a perfect landing.

Benjamin Feist - EMFSO Website Developer

wollins

What Ben said! Preferably TWO ton! (donning flame retardent suit)[:D]

Colin.

|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'! :)
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Michael

I went to rent a roller today, but didn't.

First of all, only a 2-ton roller was available, and the guy said it would kill all the grass and possibly rip up the field.

Second, he said that it's still about 2-weeks early in the season; the roller could get stuck in softer areas (the roller is meant for driveways).

Third, I only found out today that there is a delivery and pick up charge of $190. That would put the cost around $400.

I'm still willing to do it, but he said that Steven's Rental may have a grass roller for less money. I'll look into it tomorrow.

http://www.temac.ca/2007-5-3-sm.jpg">

In the meantime, I maidened my Hangar 9 (E-Flite 60 brushless motor) Mustang today. Other than damaging the landing gear on landing (my fault, and since repaired) the plane flew fantastic! It was actually easier to fly than smaller warbirds. In fact, it seems to be able to fly at slower scale speeds than smaller models as well.

The grass is being cut for the first time tomorrow.

Michael
Michael

Michael

Did the roller damage the soil / grass / field?

Michael
Michael

Michael

Done.

Lightly, with a nice smooth mowing, pits included. Not too heavy, and the grass is completely undamaged.

The driveway will be level in the next little while too.

I won't be there for up to a week, so please let me know how it looks.

Michael
Michael