A hell of a maiden or a maiden from HELL?

Started by wollins, June 21, 2007, 01:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

Well, the Yak was maidened today and let me just say this ... it was one of the scariest maidens I'd ever done.[:0] To make a long story short, on take off I lost my right wheel pants AND wheel!!!

To make matters worse I hadn't enough expo on the high rates which I used to take off with (high rates on elevator to keep the tail on ground and avoid tipping over) and in the stress of losing the wheel forgot to flip to low rates. [:0]

Needless to say the combination of high rates (bevel to bevel 3D throws) and not enough expo made flying the plane almost uncontrollable. Flew as if it was DRASTICALLY tail heavy and the slightest impression on the elevator stick resulted in HUGE pitch changes ... I was porpoising like crazy.

While I'm desperately trying to keep the plane under control I asked the guys (Michael and Andre were spotting for me) what to do in terms of landing ... Andre suggested I land on the one wheel.  EEEEK!! [:0]

I was hardly in control of the plane in normal flight so doing that skillful of a manoeuver would have been a disaster.  I decided that the only option was for me to crash land in the beans.  Andre agreed and ran over to the beans to "stake out" a thick spot for me.  The spot he id'd happened to be about 30 feet square, but it was the best I would get!! [:(]

Meanwhile all of this was going on, I remembered I was on high rates but couldn't take my fingers off the stick for ONE SECOND lest I woild have lost the plane ... THAT'S how uncontrollable it was.  

So I asked the guys to flip the switch for me and after a second or two of them trying to figure out which one it was, Andre flipped the right one and immediately the plane calmed down ... A BIT. Just enough for me to try to get as close as possible to the landing zone.

After four HAIRY attempts, I MADE IT INTO THE SPOT!!! [:D]

Damage?  To the best of our observation at the field, some scratches on the cowl, a small dent in the wing tip and some stretched out rudder pull/pull cables.  It's highly possible that upon CLOSE inspection at home, I may find some additional damage but I will say with confidence that any additional damage should be minor. [:)]

I ran up the motor and worked the surfaces after getting back into the pitts and all electronics etc seem to be fine.

WHEW!!!! Wouldn't wish a maiden like that on anyone!  A HUGE THANKS to Michael and Andre.  IMHO, without their help I would have damaged the plane EXTENSIVELY.  As it turned out, the damage was EXTREMELY minor ESPECIALLY considering the circumstances.  By next week it will be as good as new.  Would have been done by Saturday but I've got a new plane to assemble, which I hope to maiden then! [;)]

Colin.

|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'! :)
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Michael

Michael

wollins

Ooops!  Sorry Michael! [:I]  BTW, nice dramatic photo of the wheel coming off.  THANKS Again!

Colin.

|
|
|

|
|
|

piker

Sorry to hear of your crazy first flight, but I'm glad it worked out O.K.

Your next flight will be much better after you make the necessary adjustments (ie. a better wheel collar [:D])

I'm looking forward to seeing it in Kingston.

BTW, I like the Falcon 56.  I flew one for years on an Astro 25 and 20 cells.  Still have it.

Robert

wollins

Well, I FINALLY got two great flights out of her.  Almost trimmed out, the nerves are ALMOST ([;)]) gone and I'm loving it.  For such a heavy bird she can slow to a crawl without stalling, which made  for a couple of reasonably slow landings! [:D]

The two flights were short, about five minutes each ... I want to see how much mah I'll put back in based on a five minute flight and based on that I'll know if I can make my "regular" eight minute duration flights.  Packs and motor came down really cool (29° and 39° respectfully) so everything was well within specs.

So ... it's time to fix the cosmetic dings and scratches sustained from the maiden flight last Wednesday and slap on her decals so as to make her look all "purdy"! [:)]

Colin.

P.S My Cessna "replacement" is almost done.  Will be maidening on Wednesday. Can't wait, this one's gonna be FUN! [:D]

|
|
|

|
|
|