2013 Mini Fun Fly Themes????

Started by Papa, July 22, 2012, 07:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

Now that we seem to have the template for these Mini Fun Flys worked out What do we want for next year?
Post a list of what themes you would like to see. I will then make them into a list and we can vote on them.

I'll start.

War Birds
Jets
Bi-Planes
Skis (In January maybe)

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

thehaze

Hmmm..

how about..

1. Scale planes
2. Speedfest, fast planes only.
3. A basic aerobatic pattern contest.
4. Gliders and sail planes.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

sihinch

Star wars planes and flying dragons/animals!!??  Only kidding! ;D

Wingnutz

Dunno about star wars and flying dragons ???  but I like all the other suggestions listed. How about adding a multi-engine aircraft day?
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

bfeist

I really like the idea of a sail plane day. We could invite the SOGGI guys (http://www.soggi.ca/). It's very weather dependant though.

Papa

What kind of weather?

Lots of Thermals?

How would they launch?

Jack.
A motto to live by:

bfeist

Maybe they'd bring a winch, but I'm sure most of them have electric gliders in their fleet.

Gregor77

I like the Bi-Plane day, twins day is good also...

Last season we did lots of winter flying, the issue is getting in and out of the field.  This was addressed by building a blocker to the grass area.  I would suggest that we do a quick build barracad to the field near fall to prevent this from happening again.

If that is the case, we can park on the path or the road.

I loved flying in the winter... some days it was like a mild spring.   I had lots of fun with floats on the snow.  The catalina from Dynam was a good plane of choice being a twin and running a 3S 4000 pack, I got 20 mins in -10 weather!

The themed events are nice, I really like the fact we can fly anything afterwards too!

Ededge2002

Quote from: thehaze on July 22, 2012, 08:38:03 PM
Hmmm..

how about..

1. Scale planes
2. Speedfest, fast planes only.
3. A basic aerobatic pattern contest.
4. Gliders and sail planes.

I like where Mike is going with his ideas.  I would add that the gliders should be electric powered launch as it reduces the weather requirements and also adding a possible "Multi Day"  (two or more wings, motors or tails would qualify) 
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

bfeist

How about a Planes on Skis day in winter next year? I'm in.

Papa

How about a "Scratch Built Day" any medium.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

thehaze

Foam model day?

how about some streamer combat?
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Gregor77

I like scratch built day.  Planes on skiis in nice. But I tried this a few times and failed. 

wollins

Man! At this rate we'll have a Mini Funfly every weekend! AWESOME!!!  ;D

I like:

"Scale"
"Twin or Multi"
"Speed"
"Giant Scale"

but all the rest are good too! lol!

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

gordonbw

At the risk of repeating myself... if we're thinking of a sailplane funfly, what about including an ALES event?

(Altitude Limited Electric Soaring)

In this event, pilots fly their e-sailplanes to a specific altitude (determined by an altitude limiting motor cutoff switch) and complete thermalling and landing tasks within a time-limited period.

The altitude limiter equalizes things out so that a Radian can be competive with a higher end glider.

ALES prizes could be beers.  :)