Need assistance in making a nose cone / cowl

Started by Gregor77, July 24, 2012, 11:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

Well, I decided to do the Bucker Jungmiester..  :-*

I have all the stuff needed... this is an old Goldberg kit converted to the Jungmiester and not the sport plane. 
I will be running the following and it should be fine.  It wieghts around 8 lbs... maybe less..   
Turnigy 50-65, 100 amp esc, 6S with SBEC and some normal size servos' 4 in total.  Nothing too crazy here... I wanted something a bit bigger and areobatic..

The one thing that is missing is the cowl.  I have no clue on how to do this...  Buckers have a nose cone that is flaired outwards and have bumps all over it for the radial engine. 

Can some suggest how I can get one made?

Gregor77

Well, considering that no one wants to assist me.. this is what I came up with...

I am going to get some 1/4 foam and wrap it around, hot glue (HG) the attachment point.  Then I am going to wrap the cowl with thin balsa and sand smooth.  Once done, I will cover it with covering and paint.   The outter ring will be a bottle bottom.  The humps will be balsa block.   Unless I can get a bottle that looks the part!

I was also debating on engine detail.  I need a big radial engine.  I have some of the H9 Radial from the H9 Camel.  But the Bucker needs to be a bit bigger.  So here is my plan..

4 pieces of 1" foam.  Make a box, carver the sides and make it round.  Make each cylinger with Balsa block and use string to make the cooling vents.  I can then use some straws to make the piping.

I hope this works!  If I nose over... that is the end of that!  lol!

sihinch

You could wrap the foam in epoxy/carbon weave, rather than balsa.  May be easier to finish?

I like the idea of adding balsa blocks.

I'm sure people want to help, Greg - they just may not have had chance to answer yet!  :)

Gregor77

Gregor77

Cafe came in handy... I got a 7.5 inch bucket for the bucker... lol!  I will work on it tonght... ;o)