Float-flying in Frenchman's Bay

Started by Gregor77, August 03, 2012, 12:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

hey Robert, some of us could not make the last float fly, maybe there is some interest in doing a "private" one later on?

sihinch

What exactly does a "private" float fly with Robert entail?

thehaze

I hear you need to sign some sort of waiver first...
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Gregor77

piker

You guys are talkin' my language!  Nothing kinky.  Just a get together by some water with some float planes.

A bunch of us did some float flying a few years ago at Frenchman's Bay in Pickering (On Google Maps you can see the sandbar on the south end of the bay that separates the lake from the bay.  We fly on the bay side), and we had a great time.  People are still talking about it and requesting that we do it again. 

I would just tell everyone that I'd be there at a certain time (Saturday or Sunday evening starting around 5:00 works best for me) with my trailer lid boat ready for some float flying.  We'd fly as the winds died and the water smoothed out, until the sun was completely set, then usually went for Tim's.  It's even a cool opportunity for lights on the plane (not required) as they reflect beautifully off the calm water.

We haven't done it in many years because I haven't had my new trailer built, but now it's ready to go, and I'd like to do more float flying.  Float flying in the evening on calm water is really very nice, and not difficult at all.  Same as flying a trail dragger on grass, but with an extra "cool" factor (and offers a nice change of scenary).  Another bonus is that if you DO crash, or simply dunk, the damage is usually minimal to non existant.

I could probably do an evening this weekend if anyone wanted to go out and "test the waters" with me.  Just say the word!

One catch though.  As this is not an official flying site or event, It's safe to assume we are not covered by MAAC.  Doesn't mean we can't fly... just something to be aware of.

Gregor77

I am interested:

I have the Dynam Catalina in rescue colours.   On a 3S, 3000 I can go for 18 mins.

What planes are out there members?   

piker

This video is pretty cool.  It gives you an idea of what it's like to fly from calm water, at a beach.

It's also cool because the water bomber has scale retracts and the ability to scoop and drop water. 

Check it out!

CANADAIR CL-215 rc-1

Robert

bfeist

Wow, I never thought a model would be able to carry water, but of course with lipo power and regular electric lightening it's possible now! Not when your CL-215 used to carry Nicads.

bfeist

It looks like Beeton is hosting another Float Fly in a couple of weeks.
http://www.maac.ca/events/event_details.php?eid=3279

Not electric only but might be a good opportunity to get some float experience before heading to Frenchman's Bay with Rob.

piker

Hey Guys,

I can't make tonight as I had originally intended, so I'm planning for tomorrow (Monday August 6) evening at Frenchman's Bay in Pickering for some float flying.  I'll be there at 5:00pm with my planes and my trailer / boat.

If you have a seaplane or two and would like to "test the waters" in a casual environment, please come out and join me.  The place that we fly from is a separate little area of the shore, so we don't get any traffic.  Just the occasional interested spectator.

Of course this depends on weather, so I'll post a message here later tomorrow to confirm that I'm going so it's worth the drive for you guys.  In fact, I can text anyone who wishes the conditions as I get there.  Just send me a text at 416-828-8722 to let me know that you'd like the feedback (let me know your name in your text as it my show on my phone).  Keep in mind that it's dark by 8:30pm these days... Ugh!

Here's a link to the site.  When you get there, look for my truck and trailer.  You can't miss it.

Whites Rd/Regional Road 38 to Beachpoint Promenade - Google Maps

Robert

sihinch

Thanks so much for organising this Robert. I'd love to come, but Don't think I'll be able to, this weekend.  But certainly in the future, I'd love to "test the water" as you say, and watch.  Maybe find insipration for my 1st float plane?

Good luck with it on Monday!

bfeist

I'm ready to go!

Kenvention2

Ben, is that a build or ARF? it looks both large and beautiful.

Ken

No chance to fly tonight but I'm happy to hear there is enthusiasm for float flying out there.

K

bfeist

That's the eflight Supercub 25e on grey floats that I painted to match. Here's a shot of it on the water today.

bfeist

A great time was had by all (except me--the last one is a close-up of the scorch marks caused by "the fire" when my ESC and lipos caught after a dunk).