Float-flying in Frenchman's Bay

Started by Gregor77, August 03, 2012, 12:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

Wow!  That is all that I can say!

Any member or friend that could not make it, you missed a great night!  I grabbed Carmen and we headed down in the shaggen waggen.  Although my world consists of Oakville to Stouffville and I entered the grey zone as I got lost heading east.   I made it there around 6:30 ish.  We unpacked to see a bunch of smiling faces!  Carmen was tired and feel asleep in the bus with the door open and the breeze from the lake.

Wow it was very organized and there was some great models all over the place.  The great RP collection was there.  I had a chance to see Bens S Cub take off, but missed it flipping over and burning the ESC and batt (that sucked!).  Glen had a vintage boat that also peaked my interest.  It was fun to watch!  Some of the other float planes were present.  They all looked great! loved the vintage float race planes!  Glen what was the yellow and white thing?

I tried my Dynam Catalina and for a first time I think I did Ok, my last landing dunked a bit, but she was fine.  I did have one crazy flight when my rudder had some weeds attached to it and dragged me all over the place.  None the less, I wish we all did this sooner!  So much fun!  I can see why he was so excitied at the workshop last year!

The highlight of the night was seeing Roberts 4 engine machine take off and land. .He did some beautiful flying.  People were running off the beach to see it!  Very Very cool! 

piker

I'm really happy that it worked out O.K. last night.  Thanks to everyone who made it out with very short notice and less than ideal conditions.

As I was saying to a couple of the guys, the conditions were not the best, with some boat traffic (not really a problem),  The winds from behind that never really died down, and the beautiful but blinding setting sun to our left, but we made the best of it and enjoyed some really great float flying.

Normaly (I hope) the winds would die down as the sun starts to set and we can enjoy some beautiful, calm water float flying.  That is really the best as the planes fly smoothly and predictably, and touch and goes are the order of the day.  If it's a little overcast, it's actually better as the sun would also not be an obstacle.

I was realy impressed with how many of you showed up and flew with enthusiasm.  A great time for sure.

So my plan is to make this a weekly thing (I simply don't get enough opportunity to fly from water), say every Saturday evening with Sunday evening as an alternative (based on scheduling or weather).  I'll just let everyone know that I'll be there at a certain time and anyone who can join me is welcome to do so.  I'll have the rescue boat with me.

At this point, I'm planning for next Saturday evening starting at 5:00pm.  We need to get the flying in while we can as the evenings are getting shorter.  Hopefully we'll get ideal conditions next week!

Thanks for coming out guys!

Robert

sihinch

Any chance of maybe the odd weekday?  Weekend evenings are difficult in the Hinchcliffe household!  :)

Gregor77

I agree with Simon, can we do one during the week?   It was lots of fun!  Simon, it's closer for you than TEMAC.  We could meet there afterwork...

piker

I'd love to, but I work til 10:00 most weekday evenings.  That's why you don't see me at TEMAC very often  :(

Even if I take the evening off, I work til 6:00 at my day job with a 30 minute drive home.  The earliest I could get to the Bay would be 7:00ish.

I also feel weekends are best because we then don't have to deal with rush hour traffic.

BUT, with that said, I WOULD like to accomodate.  I'll see about taking off a couple of hours early sometime soon (to aim for 5:00pm at the beach).  What weekday evening is best for you guys?

Robert

Papa

Robert,

I don't care what anyone says you did a great job organizing it.
I know it's a lot of effort with the trailer and all.
The sun and the wind you got wrong but everything else was just fun!
Thank you.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

I bought the new E-Flite Micro Cub today (the one with the digital 3-axis gyro system) and the matching micro floats!
Michael

Gregor77

Is that going to work?  It's so small!  At least it will float!  :-X

piker

Hey guys,

The weather's not looking great for this weekend, but I'm still planing for float flying at 5:00pm on Saturday (Aug 11) with Sunday at 5:00pm as a plan B.  If you're interested in coming out, let me know and I'll be sure to keep you posted on our plans based on the weather.  There's a chance that the rain will pass and we end up with a nice, calm evening of flying.

BTW, I've straightened the float struts on my Decathalon (after a rough landing last week), and mounted a new motor in the Cub.  I'm also planning to get my Great Plane Widgeon out for it's first successful flight (have had two attempts that failed due to "technical issues")   :)

Robert

sihinch

Robert - don't want to cause issues for you at work, for a weekday evening.

I'll make a weekend.  Fingers crossed for Sunday (got collect Mother-in-Law on Saturday!  She's staying for 2.5 weeks!)

piker

I will still focus on weekend evenings only because it's the time I have free most weeks, but I don't mind... actually invite, a good excuse to make a weekday evening work by leaving work a couple of hours early.  It certainly wouldn't cause a problem, but rather get me motivated  ;D

I'm happy to go to extra lengths when float flying is involved  ;D

After next weekend, the weekends are getting very busy with a fun fly event every weekend in Sptember.  Because of that, a weekday or two would fit the bill.

Hey!  Can't you come out on Saturday after collecting Mum-in-Law?  I have to pick up my daughter from the airport on Sunday, but will still try to get out afterward, if Saturday doesn't work.

Thanks for your interest.  As much fun as float flying is, it's even more fun with friends.

Robert

sihinch

I guess I need to find/buy a float plane now! ;)

Papa

The mentor was sorted at the field Wednesday thanks to Ron from Pinnacle and Frank van Beurden.
Floats are being added as I type. Looking forward to a water maiden soon.
Let's know what day works for you.

Thank you. Jack.
A motto to live by:

piker

I'll be out today, but hopefully back around 4:00.  I'll post here then whether I'm going today or not.  It completely depends on the rain and wind.  Or if you'd like to discuss, my cell number is 416-828-8722 (call or text).

Robert

Papa

Does not look good! Rain on and off till past 8:30pm.

Jack.
A motto to live by: