Float-flying in Frenchman's Bay

Started by Gregor77, August 03, 2012, 12:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfeist

Thank goodness for the rain. My shipment of conformal coating isn't arriving until Monday and I would be tempted to fly without it and fry yet another ESC.

Happily Grounded,
Ben

piker

Guys,

I'm still at a job and won't make the Bay tonight.  But that doesn't matter 'cause the weather still sucks (as expected).  I'll plan for tomorrow evening.  Closer to 6:00pm start.  I'll post here tomorrow around 4:00 to confirm.

Oh, and Ben.  I have conformal coating you can use :-)... seriously...

Robert

sihinch

What's "conformal coating"????

Some kind of regulation outer-wear garment???   :D

bfeist

It's the little bottle of stuff sitting right on Rob's workbench, that I didn't use when I had the chance, that will stop your ESC from exploding when it makes contact with water.

piker

Ya.  Never used it.  So far so good.

piker

It's Sunday morning, and the weather looks very nice today.  I won't be able to make it to TEMAC this afternoon, as usual, but I'm still hoping to get some float flying in at Frenchman's Bay this evening.

I have to pick my daughter up at the airport (at 2:30), so I can't be positive about timing, but I still plan to be at the bay for 5:00pm.

Please join me if you can.  Call me at 416-828-8722 if you can any questions or want to confirm that it's on.  I'll keep an eye on the weather.

Scroll back through this thread for directions.

Hope to see you at the beach!

Robert

piker

Great time at the Bay last night again!

Again, the wind refused to die, but the water was clear of boaters, there was lots of room for parking, the weeds were submerged 'cause of the rain we've had, and the sun was even dimmed by the clouds a few times.  But the best part was that the wind was steady and smooth and from a pretty good direction (north north west) and quite manageable (as long as you were careful while taxiiing).

The turnout was modest compared to last week, but those who brought planes flew them and had a great time.  Nestor was active with his two planes (a GWS Cub (I think) and an Aqua Star), I had the same three planes as last week (my Sandringham, Cub, and Decathalon), and Jack had his awesome Mentor on floats which took off beautifully but was pushed off course by the wind and dunked.  The plane was fine but the float mounting requires more reinforcement.  For a change of pace, Ken Raulins brought out his old CL-215 water bomber with two four stoke somthings (I forgot to take note... .46's I think).  He ran the engines up , but since the plane hadn't been flown in 20 years!  He wanted to spend a bit more time to get them cleared out this week.  For those of us who are surrounded by electric planes all the time, having a glow plane (a four stroke, scale, twin at that) join the action was fresh and exciting.  But I must admit that our conversation was put on hold while Ken ran up the engines  ;D

So I am planning to be back at the Bay again next Saturday at 5:00pm assuming that the weather is good.  I feel confident that we'll get a beautiful, calm evening of flying this time around.  We're due  ;D

Robert

sihinch

I went to watch, and research ideas for my first float plane. I just took myself, a drink and a chair.

I had a lovely evening, watching the sun set and some great float flying!  I met some new friends and just chilled.  Great evening, thanks for organising Robert, and thanks for coming everyone else.

Greg C is going to lend me his Catalina for a flight or 2, to see if I like it. So far, the Catalina is my #1 choice as a first float plane, but of course I will have to do an RAF version!

Cheers,
Simon

sihinch

Well, the Catalina was the first float plane that I got, but not the first that I flew! 

Les & I just went on vacation to Lake Buck, near Huntsville.  So, the night before we went, I rushed to add floats to an old Formosa.  And then, after 3 hrs of work I decided that I needed a rudder, too!  This is the result (plus a photo of the dock)

I managed to get about 6 flights - it was great fun!  On the second flight, on the take-off, I hit the floating dock and knocked the motor off! So next day we went to Wal-Mart to buy an emergency, vacation glue gun!  Then on the 4th day, the float came loose on take-off and the plane flipped upside down.  I dried it out for a day, but it onbviously wasn't long enough because when I tried to fly again on the 5th day, my ESC went up in smoke!  :'(

Anyway, the plane is home and has undergone surgery today - it's got a new ESC and full lights!  :)

When's the next float fly?  ;D

Michael

The first time I ever flew a plane off water was in Huntsville.

I never heard of an "emergency vacation glue gun" before, but it sounds like a great idea, in this case.  ;D
Michael

piker

Looks great, Simon.

I'm dyin' to get out float flying (TEMAC flying too) again soon, but I'm just too busy, and this weekend I have another riding event with work so I can't do this weekend (I'm not even going to the EMFSO Float Fly).

I'll know better after this weekend, but I'm planning for a Frenchman's Bay get together for next Saturday evening (Sept. 22).  Who would be available for that?

Robert

Gregor77

I can do it, but I burned my ESC also in the seawind and sold the Catalina... so I am a bit plane less right now.  If my HK order makes it by then, I should be fine!

Gregor77

I PM'd a person on RC Canada.  He has a 100+" Anderson Kingfisher...    What do you think?  It is a 7 hr drive to get this thing... lol!  I am hoping he is available this weekend because I am NOT driving tonight to see it!  lol!

But looks cool and the price is right... But would be a great conversion...

Gregor77

I got it and he is giving me another float plane?   Anyone feel like a road trip!

Gregor77