Float-flying in Frenchman's Bay

Started by Gregor77, August 03, 2012, 12:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Looks like a great plane, Greg. Very agile for 100"

Robert - shame about next weekend; I can't make the Saturday evening.  Any takers for a Sunday meeting, on 23rd?

piker

Yes Greg, that looks like a very nice plane.  If you change your mind about the purchase... let me know  ;D

I could entertain a Sunday next weekend instead if that works better for everyone.  Perhaps we can keep an eye on the weather and go with the best bet.

So the crash of my Decathalon meant the loss of one of my float planes, but it freed up a power system and radio gear that I could put into my back-up plane that I had retired several years ago.  That being my old Astro Hog.  A plane that I've been hanging onto with the thought that it would make a great float plane one day.  Well, the Decathalon crash also freed up a set of floats.  So, there ya go.  The plane is ready to go from land, and I just need to get some 1/8" ply to build a float mount for.  I should be able to get it ready for next weekend.  Should be fun!

Robert

Gregor77

Robert, what are you doing for a power system for the hog?  I have a Astro Hog Bipe...  I wanted to get that ready for next season.,...

sihinch

Photos, we need photos!

Good idea to follow the weather next weekend.

piker

I'll try to take a picture tonight.

I'm just going with my E-Flite 60 on 6 cells that I had in the Decathalon.  I believe the Astro Hog is lighter than the Decathalon so the 60 should be fine for gentle aerobatics.  The Hog used to have an old Astro 60 (direct drive) on 24 Nimh cells so the new version of the plane will be quite a bit lighter than before.

I would probably go with more power for the biplane version.  Maybe 8 cells.

I'm kinda excited to try this plane out as I know it flew so well before.  I only retired it because I burned out the motor  :)

Robert

Tomahawk

Quote from: piker on September 13, 2012, 10:20:52 AM
I'll try to take a picture tonight.

I'm just going with my E-Flite 60 on 6 cells that I had in the Decathalon.  I believe the Astro Hog is lighter than the Decathalon so the 60 should be fine for gentle aerobatics.  The Hog used to have an old Astro 60 (direct drive) on 24 Nimh cells so the new version of the plane will be quite a bit lighter than before.

I would probably go with more power for the biplane version.  Maybe 8 cells.

I'm kinda excited to try this plane out as I know it flew so well before.  I only retired it because I burned out the motor  :)

Robert
You burned out an Astro Motor?  You must of really abused it.  You could get those motors really hot without damaging them.  I remember your AstroHog from the York Flyins.  It was an impressive flyer on the Astro motor and nimhs.  I remember looking inside after your flight and every square inch was taken up with battery placement.  The good old days.  I remember the first lipos were coming out and they were expensive.  Someone recently brought out an old Thunderpower to the field and showed me the bill for it.  It was a 8c 3s 2100mah.  Close to $125 brand new.

Chris

sihinch

Help,  please!

Both Greg and I have burnt out escape despite drying them for 24hrs after dunking them.  So what's this conformal coating?

Where do you get it from? And how do you apply it - brush, spray? 

Do you need to remove the plastic heat shrink from the esc first, before you add the coating?

Thanks in advance.

Simon

piker

I would just go into a place like Sayal or Electrosonic (both at Vic Park, south of steeles) and ask for a spray can of whatever they have.  I bought a can year ago that I've never used.

What speed controls are you guys using?  I've never fried an ESC from water damage, and I've dunked a few.

Removing the heat shrink is probably a good idea to let the thing dry out.  Maybe even take a hair dryer to it too.  Perhaps you both just had moisture trapped in there that couldn't dry out in 48 hours.

Robert

piker

I was told to show a picture, so here it is... Ye ol' Astro Hog complete with Frenchman's Bay sea weed still on the floats.

Robert

Papa

There is an old trick for drying out electronics that get immersed in water.
You buy some Methyl Hydrate. It is hydroscopic which means it absorbs water.
You dunk the ESC in a jar of the Methyl Hydrate and leave it for a while.
Use a sealable jar and be very careful. Methyl Hydrate is extremely flammable.
You then leave it to evaporate on a paper towel and all the water is evaporated also.

This was an old trick used by watch repair people.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"