Frenchman's Bay Float Flying

Started by piker, September 19, 2012, 11:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

O.K., it's been a while since we've been float flying at Frenchman's Bay.  I've been planning for this coming weekend (Sunday, September 23 at 5:00pm) for a while, but the weather does not look promising.  Still, let's see how it turns out.

As mentioned, I'll plan to be at the beach for 5:00pm on Sunday.  That will give us 2-1/2 hours of flying before dark.  I hope some of you can join me.

I'll plan for next Saturday evening as well.

See below for a link to the site.  I'll have my Sandringham, Cub, Astro Hog, and Widgeon.  I'm excited to find out if the old Hog will fly  ;D

Robert

Whites Rd/Regional Road 38 to Beachpoint Promenade - Google Maps

sihinch

Thank you so much Robert!  I understand the pressure that peers can put on one another, and I am truly grateful for your Leadership on this.

I have a new plane to try now, and I put lights on the Formosa, so I can fly longer (hopefully) in to the evening.

Hope to see you there - come on weather!

Simon

Gregor77

Good stuff.. I am hoping to fix my plane and make sure it's water proof!  lol!

piker

Lookin' good Simon.  Glad to hear you're in too, Greg.

A little pushing is appreciated.  I get too wrpped up in work and forget to make time for family and float flying  ;)

Robert

piker

I'm still planning to be at the Bay for 5:00pm today (Sunday Sept. 23).  The forecast isn't looking great, specifically the winds, but I'm willing to take my chances.  Give me a call (or text) if you plan to come out (416-828-8722) as I won't be near a computer anymore today until I head to the Bay.

Robert

piker

Well, only Simon and I went float flying tonight, with Colin and my wife, Tara watching.

Simon flew his formosa on GWS floats that flew really well.  I have to get my Formosa assembled and on floats too!

Simon then flew his new Catalina and it looked and flew great.  I flew my Astro Hog on floats, which worked very well, after the initial take-off abort.  And then I flew my Widgeon while Simon flew his Cat again (I think he had three flights on that).

Yes, it was still a bit windy, but quite manageable and well worth the trip.

Robert

sihinch

I had a blast! And I continued to learn.

My Formosa flipped over when I was trying to "taxi" in to the shore.  I should have let the wind bring it in (rather than taxi with the wind.)

And on my last flight, the Catalina started behaving weird; it wouldn't bank right, only left.  Anyway, long story short, I went in to the water nose first.  This pushed the wing of it's pylon and cracked the foam.  It's all fixed now, thanks to my trusty glue gun.

I had a great time, and the float bug has certainly bitten me. Thanks Robert for making the effort to come out, and Colin for coming to watch and say hi.

How about water Formosa racing 2013?  Take off, 5 laps and then finish???  ;D

Gregor77

I am pleased that the damages to the Catalina are not that bad.  We need to determine why the plane acted that way?  Maybe water got to the RX?

I attempted to repair my plane, but it smoked a brand new ESC.  The motor sounded like it was locking and spun and the esc went red hot and burned up.   Is there still water around?  it's been two weeks since my mishap...

sihinch

OK, so I fixed up the Cat - repaired the wing pylon and re-attached the wing supports - and was testing it.  I think I found the problem.

I couldn't get the plane to turn left; when I power up the motors, the right motor is gradually and constantly dropping power once it has reached max throttle.  It's not pulsing, or surging, just dropping power.  I guess that's why it was only turning right.

Any ideas? ESC? Motor?

Thanks,
S

piker

Sounds like the ESC to me.... I guess.

That sucks.