"Winterizing Lipos"???

Started by Wingnutz, January 07, 2013, 11:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

Most of my lipos will sit until next spring. I know I'm supposed to do something with the ones that won't be used for a while but I'm not sure what that is.
Advice?
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

wollins

Make good usage of your shop fridge!  ;D

Based on research and what has worked for me ... lipos are best stored cool. Charge them to 3.8 volts per cell, seal in Zip Lock Freezer bags and store at about 0 to 3 Celsius. (hence a shop fridge?  ;D )

Upon removing from storage, I allow the Ziploc package to come up to room temp before opening to prevent condensation.  (I also double bag them)

QUOTE BY CHARLIE WANG (Thunder Power CEO)

We recomment 3.8V (50% charge for 2 to 3 years storage)
3.5V allows 9 to 18 month storage (18 months at optimium condition)
3.3V allows 6 to 12 month storage (12 months at optimium condition)

Here are some pics of mine sleeping ... no winter flying for me!  ;)

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Wingnutz on January 07, 2013, 11:19:35 AM
Most of my lipos will sit until next spring. I know I'm supposed to do something with the ones that won't be used for a while but I'm not sure what that is.
Advice?

Draw them down to about 3.8 volts/cell for long-term storage.

Andy

Ededge2002

I just felt a disturbance in the force. Shop fridges are for beer my friend. No wonder your not done that plane yet lol
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

thehaze

What's the fastest way to discharge the batteries? Using the discharge setting on my charger takes forever.
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

piker

I KNOW!  Last time I was there I was looking for a bevey, and saw nothing but plastic bags!!!

wollins

Quote from: Ededge2002 on January 07, 2013, 11:53:17 AM
I just felt a disturbance in the force. Shop fridges are for beer my friend. No wonder your not done that plane yet lol

;D  We've had this discussion before Ed, remember?  ;)  (see post #36)

Colin.

P.S. Ok, Rob so the coke (COLA!) was flat but you have to admit that usually I feed your coke addiction (COLA) with cold "fresh" cans!   
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

sihinch

Quote from: thehaze on January 07, 2013, 11:56:34 AM
What's the fastest way to discharge the batteries? Using the discharge setting on my charger takes forever.

Go flying!

Papa

I soldered two headlight bulbs (ex TTC bus main light bulbs) together with a lead to suite my batteries.

This set up will drain the battery very quickly.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Bobmic

EDF's are great for discharging batteries...
sometimes I use a similar method as Jack but I prefer halogen headlamps 12v >55w this a bit faster than the 21w rear lamps or low beam light.
If this is not enough you can take a piece of welding wire, measure the desired resistance per current you want to draw and connect it between two nails on a piece of wood (I don't use this method but it's great for cutting foam)
Measure the cell voltage through the balance port while you are discharging.

flying saucer

Quote from: thehaze on January 07, 2013, 11:56:34 AM

The fastest?

give them to Ronny..

Wingnutz

I'm going to have to learn to drink warm beer or get a bigger shop fridge!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!