Anyone planning on flying tomorrow ?

Started by Bobmic, February 01, 2013, 06:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJROB

What an awesome time at the field ;D
the skies were so blue and the sun was sort of warm. :P
the wind was out of the south and steady which made for them great sweeping turns. :o
the snow was hard packed so take off was easy. :'(
I'm gland I went :D 
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

bweaver

BJ, Sounds like fun.  I hope Andy's aircraft retrieval foot prints going and coming across the snow on the field, resulting from his downed aircraft yesterday didn't interfere with your taxiing and take offs.

Both you and Andy are going to make wonderful good 'morning crew' members.  (Ones who respond promptly to the call to come out and fly in the morning even when it is a bit chilly.  Andy - we know now that you do fly in the morning, so don't fight us.  Two mornings in a row now is a good start.)

Just a reminder though, we haven't seen your applications yet?  Once submitted, each of your applications will be promptly processed.  (We are always looking for someone with flying skills, enthusiasm and cheerfulness.   By saying that, it doesn't mean that you have those traits; we're just looking for people with them, or at least one of them, or even just close to having one of them will do.)  ::)

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on January 10, 2018, 03:12:01 PM
BJ, Sounds like fun.  I hope Andy's aircraft retrieval foot prints going and coming across the snow on the field, resulting from his downed aircraft yesterday didn't interfere with your taxiing and take offs.

Both you and Andy are going to make wonderful good 'morning crew' members.  (Ones who respond promptly to the call to come out and fly in the morning even when it is a bit chilly.  Andy - we know now that you do fly in the morning, so don't fight us.  Two mornings in a row now is a good start.)

Just a reminder though, we haven't seen your applications yet?  Once submitted, each of your applications will be promptly processed.  (We are always looking for someone with flying skills, enthusiasm and cheerfulness.   By saying that, it doesn't mean that you have those traits; we're just looking for people with them, or at least one of them, or even just close to having one of them will do.)  ::)

Hmmm...  Where to begin...

I keep hearing about the morning crew, but in my two morning outings since the New Year's Day Snow Fly (where four of the 22 Morning Crew flew), I have only seen three members of said august organization, and only two of those actually flew.  And these were days with perfect flying conditions!  What am I to make of this?  Is the Morning Crew truly manifest?  This all has the look and feel of gyrations of someone's wild imagination.

Please help me to understand.  If necessary I'm sure Frank can offer some sagely thoughts!   8)

Andy

bweaver

Andy, it was a pleasure to have you grace the 'morning crew' lunch table this afternoon.   Also, thank you for sitting at the other end of the table. I am sure that everyone at the end was quite impressed.

Respecting your question,  "Is the Morning Crew truly manifest?"  Your visit with us must have been clearly, obviously, palpably, evident that we do exist in reality and not only in ones mind.  While with us today you even took photos as proof for reinforcing in your mind and your future viewing pleasure of the morning crews existence and appeal.

Respecting your hopes that Frank chirps in some further comments to this discussion - I am sure he will.  'Sagely' thoughts though, unlikely.

Quit making me look these words up!   :P

Andy Hoffer

I have to admit, they are a cute lot!

Frank F, Jim, John and I shared some great stories at the north end of the table.

Cheers!

Andy Hoffer

Andy Hoffer

Hi Guys:

I spoke to the Atmospheric Environment Service at Envt Canada and asked if they would be kind enough to give us something just a little more enticing for the broader Morning Crew cohort, so that they too can enjoy that most sublime of RC experiences, winter flying.  It looks like they pulled out all the stops for us and have given us an absolutely fabulous forecast for Sunday, Jan 14, with barely any wind - positively balmy!  Bruce and I will be there on Sunday morning.  Tentative schedule is coffee at Horton's Hangar at 10:30 a.m. (Woodbine & Stouffville Rd), then out to the field at 11:00 a.m.  We'll advise of any changes.

Hope to see you there!

Andy

bweaver

With weather like that forecast-ed, why believe you can only fly at TEMAC 3 out of 4 months a year?  How ever just a reminder, wear a windbreaker.... or two under your coat(s).  Gloves are good, a scarf or two as well.

As I am learning from Andy, the secret fly in the winter (here in the northern climate) is going out when there is little to no wind.  Tomorrow's forecast is looking like that.

Andy Hoffer

Today was a great flying day as well, so @Frank v B and I made a really low pass all the way to Brampton with Tony Hayward, who clearly enjoyed his flight on Hoff-Air!   8)

Andy

BJROB

Come on.... ::)
NO way... ???
The two of you in such a tiny space so close together.... ;D ;D ;D
I don't believe it... :-\
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Frank v B

A few things about the photos:
- yes, I flew HoffAir to Brampton.  The longest taxi way... the 401
- yes, waaayyy too close.
- no it was not photoshopped.  It was pure punishment. ;D
- Poor Tony Hayward in the back seat.  We picked him up at his home in Brampton.... one day after he had his stitches removed from a cancer operation (Colon), we drove to GreatHobbies 'cause Andy had never been there and had lunch at Swiss Chalet per Morning Crew Custom.  Then the three of us went to the Celebration of Life for Georgette Messacar, Fred's wife, who died on Boxing Day.  Fred has been to several TEMAC Pilot's Meetings.

I hope Tony is feeling fine today, he was last seen holding his side and laughing when he escaped from the car and ran to his front door. 8)

A fun Day. Sad purpose.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Morning Crew Alert - Tuesday Jan 16 2018

It just keeps getting better!  Check out the Wx forecast!!  Note that we'll probably have several cm of fresh beautiful snow overnight and early tomorrow morning, so anticipate having to walk in from the highway.  (Bonus exercise at no extra charge!)

Flight Plan:

- Pilots briefing at Horton's Hangar at 10:30 a.m.
- Taxi to TEMAC field, departing at 11:00 a.m.
- Hand warming and roasted marshmallows on the table fire at 12:00 noon!  8)

Cheers!

Andy

Andy Hoffer

Andy Hoffer

Tomorrow's class, after a nice hot calorie-rich lunch of chicken, fries and gravy, will be crabbing in the pattern and cross-wind landings, using crabbing and/or side slip.  All this cross-control is sure to put a smile on our CFI's face!!  8)

And just look at all that sunshine!  It's practically like summer!!

The Snow Man Cometh

Andy Hoffer

Well....

The sun was A.W.O.L., but the temperature was mild (-6oC) and the winds were light (6 knots) out of the south west, so the flying conditions were quite decent. 

Bruce was good enough to come out and supervise (from the confines of his warm automobile, of course) and, in his capacity as CFI, do a photo essay on how to dress properly for winter flying!  I'm usually very shy when it comes to modelling, but for a good cause I went for it.  Bruce coached me on the correct assembly sequence and we now have a pretty good photo tutorial for all of you who have wanted to enjoy some snow flying but weren't sure how to assemble their winter PPE.  So here is the final product, in two parts for your enjoyment.  This should help you conquer your fear of winter flying!!   8)

Part 1:  Bottoms and Boots

Andy Hoffer

Part 2 - More Bottoms, and Tops

So there you go!  And after you've fought your way into your snow gear, you'll be nice and toasty and all limbered up (or cramped) for standing at the flight line!!!

Enjoy!

Nice shooting Bruce!!

Andy