Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

Candu

The launch:

https://youtu.be/rmBOxX2lmmg

A picture of the picture taker...

thehaze

Well it did technically fly..
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Andy Hoffer

Is that a baby photo of you Mike?  That expression look so famliar!!  :D

Andy

Andy Hoffer

Well...

It had to happen.... :'(

All this blather (from those who shall remain nameless!!!) of southern climes and sun tans has manifested itself in unseasonably warm conditions all the way up here at TEMAC field, resulting in the remaining snow cover assuming the consistency of a sticky Slushie. Even the most deft take-off runs were no match for the viscosity of the substrate.  Any forward motion resulted in the skis digging in and the attendant creation of very effective ski chocks, which were not conducive to attainment of anything looking like take-off speed.  BJ and I did manage to leave a nice variety of ski trails, divots and boot marks in the snow on the field, and we did enjoy an otherwise balmy spring day.  So we just have to wait for the 6oC and rain on Monday and the 12oC and rain on Tuesday to melt the remaining snow and wash the turds off the runway.  Wheels 'r Us!  8)

Andy

bweaver

@Andy Hoffer   Regarding your comments above  -  Wa, wa, wa, wa, wa   :'( 

We will be out flying sooner than we think.  Like @Frank v B, always trying to fly sooner than he thinks.  Frank, if you read this, 'white planes' are also easier to find against a dark ground like colored background as well....  (Frank knows this from experience.)  :-*

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on February 15, 2018, 06:01:24 PM
@Andy Hoffer   Regarding your comments above  -  Wa, wa, wa, wa, wa   :'( 

We will be out flying sooner than we think.  Like @Frank v B, always trying to fly sooner than he thinks.  Frank, if you read this, 'white planes' are also easier to find against a dark ground like colored background as well....  (Frank knows this from experience.)  :-*

I am so pleased to see that the heavy sun exposure has not impaired @bweaver's intellectual capacity nor his vocabulary!!  8)

Andy

bweaver

RE: I am so pleased to see that the heavy sun exposure has not impaired @bweaver's intellectual capacity nor his vocabulary!!  8)

Andy

Nor @Andy Hoffer s ability to comprehend it.   :-*

Frank v B

Hey Bruce:

re: Andy's "Even the most deft take-off runs were no match for the viscosity of the substrate.  Any forward motion resulted in the skis digging in and the attendant creation of very effective ski chocks, which were not conducive to attainment of anything looking like take-off speed."

Could you translate this for me please. ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Quote from: Frank v B on February 16, 2018, 07:49:30 PM
Hey Bruce:

re: Andy's "Even the most deft take-off runs were no match for the viscosity of the substrate.  Any forward motion resulted in the skis digging in and the attendant creation of very effective ski chocks, which were not conducive to attainment of anything looking like take-off speed."

Could you translate this for me please. ;D

Frank

Simple @Frank v B -

@Andy Hoffer means that 'his take offs sucked' a little more than usual.  At least that's the way I see it with my limited capacity to understand what he says sometimes.  I'm glad I'm not the only one.   ???

Frank v B

Hey Bruce,

Thanks for the translation.  This one I can understand. Kate was probably looking over your shoulder and you left out the seconds part of the answer:

"his take-offs sucked...you idiot!" ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Dearest @Frank v B AND @bweaver ,

My most humble apologies for casting pearls when you were away from your respective dictionaries and thesauri ....   8)

Andy

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on February 15, 2018, 04:43:48 PM
Well...

It had to happen.... :'(

All this blather (from those who shall remain nameless!!!) of southern climes and sun tans has manifested itself in unseasonably warm conditions all the way up here at TEMAC field, resulting in the remaining snow cover assuming the consistency of a sticky Slushie. Even the most deft take-off runs were no match for the viscosity of the substrate.  Any forward motion resulted in the skis digging in and the attendant creation of very effective ski chocks, which were not conducive to attainment of anything looking like take-off speed.  BJ and I did manage to leave a nice variety of ski trails, divots and boot marks in the snow on the field, and we did enjoy an otherwise balmy spring day.  So we just have to wait for the 6oC and rain on Monday and the 12oC and rain on Tuesday to melt the remaining snow and wash the turds off the runway.  Wheels 'r Us!  8)

Andy

Hi All,

BJ and I had a truly wonderful day at the field today (Sat. Feb 17)!  No smart posteriorum to deal with (look it up @Frank v B and @bweaver !!), just great company and fabulous conditions.  The saturated wet snow from Thursday had glazed over and our skis were pretty much able to bridge our divots from Thursday's slush fest.  Literally zero drag, so with the 20-30 kmh winds from the SW take-off runs and landings were effortless and short.  And winds aloft were really honking, so we both had good workouts!

To add visual interest, there were lots of coyote tracks at the north end of the runway, and one snowmobile track along the road and across the south end of the field.

Access by car is tricky now due to the hard slick ice in the ruts and under the snow.  You definitely need winter tires and a gentle touch on the gas, and all-wheel drive is very nice to have.  With the warm weather and heavy rains expected on Monday and Tuesday I expect the driveway and parking lot will be impassable by car for several weeks, but we will see.  The runway should be fine once the snow melts, but you'll probably want to come in on foot with high, leak-free rubber boots.  You don't want to pull a Mike Hazelton!  And of course, we don't want to wreck the driveway and parking area.

It's been a great winter!  8)

Andy

Andy Hoffer

Highlights and Field Condition:  Feb 17 2018 Snow Flying

n.b.  Compare refrozen boot marks from Thursday Feb 15 vs boot marks from today (Feb 17).

Andy

bweaver

Great Bj.  I can verify from the photos you were there.  Was Andy really there to fly or just take pictures? 

@Andy Hoffer - Boy it really got cold fast and snowed since the earlier post with Mike stuck in the driveway... and is that Greg wearing a T-shirt?  Glenn looks too warm as well.

It is 30 Degrees C here for those that care.   :)