TEMAC Nooner racer build thread!!

Started by Ededge2002, February 18, 2013, 10:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ededge2002

As several of us will be getting our Nooners shortly and I was given the opportunity to build one so long as I did a build thread I jumed at the chance.  I figured we all could use this thread to solve problems and answer questions on the models to get the ball rolling.  The first one I will be doing is the ARF version and will be built to be as reliable, strong and fast as possible! 

Opening the box its a nice well made model for the cash.  The fuse has a little carbon that is perfectly installed and the hardware despite not being complete is of ok quality.(ive seen worse!)

With everything except the battery on my scale the number is 10.5oz or near 300g.  my goal is around 11.5 ready to fly plus battery and possibly a touch of weight to make the required 16oz,

Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Ededge2002

1 pic.  The required everything taped together right out of the box photo.

2 pic.  showing the difference a spinner makes on this model!  Diameter 30mm (this one is a Mp-Jet)

3 pic.  case in point....

4 pic.  firewall started as a disk with just a center hole and two motor holes..  dremel!

5 pic.  need to reinforce the fuse where the wing leading edge dowl will go.  I used the spray adhesive to make the piece of spectra stay in place then used thin CA to glue it in.  (spectra is kinda like kevlar and better than just fierglass AND i had some..

6 pic.  the result.

7 pic.  another layer on the outside of the fuse and its plenty strong.  just a small hole till i have the wings joined and can drill it all at once.  dont install firewall till after this is done!  I did sand the area prior to installing.

8 pic.  trimmed the canopy with scissors then smoothed up with sand paper.

9 pic.  take a good look at the fuse.  this one the very last bit of it was slightly out of alignment.  I cut the notches for the tail surfaces to compensate...  go slow with the dremel and cut off disk.. remember you have lots of sets of eyes so no need to use glasses...

10 pic.  test fit of tail surfaces.

11 pic.  First alignment.  will tune once wing is joined and mounted.

sihinch

Wow!  This looks awesome Ed!  Thank you for taking the time to do all the photos and the write-up.

Someone is very lucky to have you building this ( ;D) and they need to get one of those sexy spinners!

Cheers,
S

piker

Does look good, Ed.  Can't wait to get mine!

Ededge2002

Just a little work on the elevator joiner.  I used a 3 1/2" (90mm) long piece of 1/8" (3mm) Carbon rod.  Cut slot in surfaces basicly completly through but tried not to damage covering on other side.  I installed the horn I made onto the joiner and did a few wraps around with thread to get an even better bond.  All assembled with thin CA.   Will show more detail on how my pushrod design will work as the build progresses.

Ededge2002

After looking at the horn I had made a few times and thinking about it I figured it would be fine but why not add a little insurance.  Drilled and pinned the horn with a little piece of carbon and braced the rudder that is going to be mounted solid.  I did try to make it so that if someone wanted to add the rudder back it would be possible by cutting a carbon rod and removing some tape.

I like to get an idea where I stand with the CG before I begin mounting ANYTHING in the fuse.  Although this one is bigger than some its still a little cramped and this can become a real problem if something is in the way!  I dropped all the required equipment into the plane and was very pleased to see that with an 11g Elevator servo stuffed back in the fuse and a 3.3oz (94g) motor with a prop and spinner on the front plus a bunch of stuff tucked in there with tape in its required locations the plane will balance without the battery!!  This will leave a nice chunk of weight to move a fair bit forward and back right at the CG!  also this will make it possible to fly the plane with many pack sizes!  Very pleased with this news and this is trying to come in right at the required weight minimum! 

piker

Hey Ed.  Sorry I haven't had a chance to call you yet.  I meant to last night but forgot.  We can chat at the meeting tonight, or here if you like... or is it secret?

sihinch

Is there a weight limit? I didn't think there was one.

Ededge2002

I believe there was a minimum. I will go and look at the rules again.

piker

No upper weight limit.  Make it as heavy as you like.

battlestu

Quote from: piker on February 20, 2013, 11:46:10 AM
No upper weight limit.  Make it as heavy as you like.

"oh, yeaaah" no upper weight limit  ;D
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Ededge2002

Thing is though that on a power limited situation lighter is better!!

sihinch

piker

Quote from: Ededge2002 on February 20, 2013, 12:09:24 PM
Thing is though that on a power limited situation lighter is better!!

You're smarter than you look!

Ededge2002

[/quote]
You're smarter than you look!
[/quote]

THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT!!!