TEMAC Nooner racer build thread!!

Started by Ededge2002, February 18, 2013, 10:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thehaze

Quote from: thehaze on August 11, 2013, 10:29:03 PM
It's mine next time. Third place today and I'm just getting warmed up...

You were warned...  ;D

I think I found a nice spot for the trophy as well.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

sihinch

Got a new motor for my original Nooner.  Since a crash, the motor hasn't seemed to be up to its previous performance.

So I'm going from 2200kV and 5.25x6.25 prop to a 2500kV motor with 4.7x4.7 prop.  Specs say 120+mph pitch speed!

And this is just one of my plans for 2014 racing!

sihinch

Ironic that the last post in this thread was regarding me crashing my Nooner, and today I am posting about me crashing my Nooner!

Work has not allowed much time for building recently, but the time I have had has been spent repairing my Nooner.  I did think it was a write off - but now it has my heart and soul in it, and another new motor, and is ready for practice!

My plan is to use this one for practice, and save my other Nooner for racing.  Of course the Slipstream may trump both Nooners!  ;)

I had to re-join the wing, reinforce with carbon spars, repair the leading edge, add glass cloth, repair the wing tip, re-attach the aileron, fix & reinforce the fuse, re-mount the motor and then re-cover.  So basically build a new plane!

sihinch

I had a Nooner kit NIB and was keeping it for a new race season, but given we're likely to incorporate EF1s I've decided to use it to see just how fast a Nooner can go.

I'm planning on putting 400-450watts in it, so based on 3 seasons of race experience I'm going to make a few mods. Going to strengthen the fuselage in a few places, reduce the size of the horizontal stab, 1 piece elevator and chin cooling vent.

I will use a 40A ESC (so it won't be race legal) and a Neu 1105/2.5Y motor.

Here I am preparing the carbon for the fuselage.

Be prepared for the Champagne SuperNooner!

thehaze

This should be fun.. I'd beef up the horizontal stab a bit. I'm pretty sure that flex in mine was the cause of some, if not most of my issues with it's erratic pitch behaviour. Well that and the fuselage bending about 3/4 to the rear of the plane, creating a nice kink in the push rod.

piker

Quote from: thehaze on March 05, 2016, 02:15:24 PM
This should be fun.. I'd beef up the horizontal stab a bit. I'm pretty sure that flex in mine was the cause of some, if not most of my issues with it's erratic pitch behaviour. Well that and the fuselage bending about 3/4 to the rear of the plane, creating a nice kink in the push rod.

Nothing to do with the pilot.... right   ;D

thehaze

What?!!? Are you trying impugn the reputation of the illustrious CFI?

I'm shocked, and offended at what you are suggesting. Much like everyone else at the club, my crashes of as I call them express landings can be attributed to:

80% - Random Spektrum issues
12%- Poorly designed models
6%- Pilot error (typically caused by the rigors of the CFI role)
2% - Andy Hoffer

Frank v B

Simon:
The speed of sound at sea level is 1225 km/hr (661 knots for Andy) or 761 mph for all American friends.  Consider a flying stab for the transonic speed range.  Yeager found that out for us.  No need to re-invent the wheel.  It is still round! ;D

Here are my best guesses:
- your plane will make a horrendous screaming noise, reminiscent of the way EdEdge's plane always screamed at him.
- you will be marginally faster (max. 5%?) in level flight.
- you will accelerate noticeably faster out of the turn
- crashes become more expensive.  Andy and I know the crop fields do not grow new Neu motors. :D

My first Nooner had a series 6 motor that drew 35 amps (388 watts), had a 40 amp ESC and was not noticeably faster than my race legal Nooner.

Oh, by the way, some race Nooners were drawing 22 plus amps (static) on a Castle 18.  Mine was propped to draw exactly 18 amps static which surprised a lot of people. 
My conclusion- 18-20 amps static on 3 S is the speed limit of the Nooner airframe. Just like a displacement boat which can never exceed a speed on the water of 1.4 times the square root of the waterline length...... no matter how much power you put in it.

My 2 cents worth... and I give change. :)
Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

piker

Quote from: thehaze on March 06, 2016, 12:14:24 PM

80% - Random Spektrum issues
12%- Poorly designed models
6%- Pilot error (typically caused by the rigors of the CFI role)
2% - Andy Hoffer

Ah, yes.  Spektrum issues....

But I can't argue with the Hoffer effect on everything that seems odd in TEMAC  ;D

And hey Frank.  If my facts are correct... the American's stole the flying stab solution from the Brit's who were also very close the breaking the sound barrier with a very similar aircraft.  I saw a doc once (couldn't recall the name or where I saw it), that described the sharing agreement that the American's and Brit's had for their mutual benefit.  The American's went to visit England and learned about the flying stab solution, then when it came time for the Brit's to visit the Americans, it just wasn't convenient.  The American's then broke the sound barrier after they added the flying stab to the Bell X-1.

Frank v B

Piker,

I checked and of course... you were right... as always.

from wikipedia:

The British wartime Miles M.52 supersonic project was designed with stabilators. Though the design only flew as a scale rocket, its all-flying tail was tested on the Miles "Gillette" Falcon.[5] The contemporary American supersonic project, the Bell X-1, adapted its variable incidence tailplane into an all-moving tailplane (based on the Miles M.52 project data) and was operated successfully in 1947.[6]

... and that is why Simon and EdEdge should employ it on their ballistic projects. :D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

sihinch

I'd just like to build a Nooner incorporating improvements based on everything we've learned from 3 seasons of racing. I think Frank is probably right - it won't be much faster than a "stock" Piker racer, but I hope it flies as well as a Nooner can.

And I'm sorry Frank, no! It won't have an all flying tail.

Ededge2002

I still have my original race legal Nooner in perfect flying condition. Guess not flying Specrap and moving away from Andy has attributed to its condition.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Ededge2002 on May 03, 2016, 07:52:57 PM
I still have my original race legal Nooner in perfect flying condition. Guess not flying Specrap and moving away from Andy has attributed to its condition.

You should bring it into town and I'll have a go at it.  Then it won't feel so conspicuous!!  ;D

Andy

sihinch

After a long, long time, I'm back at this! And I'm excited about it again.

Tonight I spent some time adding some servos in the wings. I cut out the foam for the servo and added a second balsa layer next to the wing top skin, with epoxy. I'm using more powerful servos than I used in my race Nooner, this time they came from my crashed X plane.

Tomorrow I will glue the servos in and glass the center wing section. Then I'll cover it and add the ailerons.

Yeah! 350-400 watt Nooner here I come (at last!)

sihinch

Quite a bit of progress this week. Wing is finished. Horizontal stab is on and I did it at a flat angle so hopefully it won't climb under power. Just got the elevator, fin and motor mount to do. Hopefully I'll finish it this week.