Scratch Building Class - Norseman Build

Started by piker, March 21, 2013, 11:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

I think using that access hatch is an excellent idea, if I understand what you're referring to correctly, and that it's large enough to get the batteries to where they need to be and strapped down.

Looking great and I like the magnetic building board approach.  I may have to try that one day.

Robert

Wingnutz

Thanks for the encouragement Rob.
Your point about being able to reach in far enough to strap the battery down (wherever it ends up...I hate ballast)will probably determine whether I go this way or go to a B plan; either splitting the cowling top to bottom with one side fixed and the other removable or going Jack's route making the cowling removable with the motor mounted to it.
I prefer using the existing access hatch (originally for wing bolts only as the model was designed for IC) as I won't have to cut any more holes in the fuse.  :D
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

Another cool option might be a scale side door.

Wingnutz

Enjoyed last night's class...thanks again Frank and Jack. Could we do Show and Tell next time? Some of the other guys had made good progress and I would love to hear what problems, goofs and successes they encountered.

Papa

Frank and I discussed it last night and decided that we would spend the next session on a show and tell about motor installation, battery and ESC. This would give an extra two weeks of building time for everyone to catch up. The session after that will be a demonstration of covering by Ron Brott of Pinnacle.

Wing or fuselage??

Let me know.

In the meantime let's get on with the building and call either Frank or me if you need help or advice.

Jack.

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Wingnutz

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Papa

That would be no problem.

It will be Monday May 27, at 8:00pm Malvern Community Centre.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Wingnutz

I'm closer to a battery location for my Norseman (the only big one in the group). Jack suggested the compartment behind the firewall, battery sitting vertically wherever it needs to go for balance. (I suspect right on the back of the firewall)

" Can anyone see a reason why I can't move the firewall forward to the back of the mounting plate of the motor with the motor where it'll have to go for prop clearance?"

My thinking is it'll allow the battery to be placed an inch farther forward and give the model the best chance of balancing without ballast.
Picture below may help.

Papa

The main problem I see is the space is tapering and the battery fit may become tight.
You could always leave the firewall where it is and build a box to extend the motor and then you could put the ESC in the box.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Wingnutz

Point taken...what if the battery is the one in the following?

Papa

That would work. Is there a weight difference between the two batteries?

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Wingnutz

There is. The big one is 4500 5S and the little one is 4000 4S. The little one is much closer to a cube than the big one. Something like the small one should fit.

Papa

I think balance weight will be critical so the heavier the battery the better.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Wingnutz

Risking monopolizing the thread...where are the rest of you Norseman builders?
Decided to put the batteries right behind the firewall and build an access hatch just ahead of the windshield. 1.Extended the firewall bearers so the motor will mount directly to the firewall and the batteries will be as far forward as possible.
2. Extended the 1/4" ply LG mounting plate forward to form the bottom of the battery box. The box is big enough to hold two, maybe three  4000mah 4S batteries if the weight is needed to balance.
The fuse is starting to look like a Norseman...functional but not a beauty pageant winner!