Scratch Building Class - Norseman Build

Started by piker, March 21, 2013, 11:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric

Well, I've finally completed my Norseman and am looking forward to committing aviation with it at the Fun Fly on Sunday. I just received a dummy radial engine in the mail, but I'll wait until later to paint that up and stick it in the cowl. For now, its good to go.

I'm hoping I'll see more models from our class, but I've learned that it takes an incredible amount of time to construct from a kit and understand the challenge of finding the free time to work on it, and I'm retired! Until I started this project I had no idea the amount of blood, sweat and tears that goes into building from a box of nothing but sticks, balsa sheet and a couple of formed pieces. It took me an entire evening just to put in the windows and door outlines!

The main thing I've learned from this experience is to go with my gut feeling, not neccesarily with what the plans say. I quit reading the instructions after the wing and built the fuselage from the plans and my own thoughts of how it should be done. I guess that's why its so satisfying to see the finished product.

Anyhoo, here's a few pictures of the beast.

Eric

sihinch

Congratulations Eric! Another fantastic looking, unique model. The "blood, sweat and tears" have resulted in a wonderful aircraft.

Good luck with the first flight.

Gregor77

Wow. That looks great!  Very nice. Looking forward to seeing it. 

piker

Yes!  The Norseman looks very nice, Eric.  Great work.  Good luck with the test flight!

Robert 

Wingnutz

Tail end Charlie reporting here! Got back to my Norseman from last year's build class after several months. Something therapeutic about balsa...
Anyway, got the wings on for the first time today...separate wings unlike the smaller one and... wow! good thing the wings are separate and come off or it would never go in my car! I've built the struts so now have to line everything up to get  AofA the same on each wing...
Maybe it will get finished!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Ededge2002

Ohoooo!  Look everyone Bill has naked work shop pictures too!  Looking good Bill.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Wingnutz

I shall have a stern talk with my Norseman about appearing in public not properly dressed! :o

sihinch

Lovy looking model, Bill. And workshop!

I know models naked don't leave much to the imagination but sometimes, when the body is so amazing, naked is best!

Wingnutz

Today's progress on the Norseman...dining room table is the only place big and flat enough to get strut length close...I'll have to adjust for symmetrical AofA tomorrow. Simon, you're right...naked is best...maybe I'll fly it that way...naw, it's too cold this time of year! :D

piker

Great work, Bill.  Keep going at it so we can see the big bird fly next summer!

Robert

Frank v B

My Norseman is almost finished after a couple of nudges from Jack.  I will bring it to the Nov 13 Pilot's Meeting.  The whole plane is together and covered.  The only things left to do are: the struts, install the receiver and ESC and set up the radio (throws, expo, rates etc.).  By Wednesday's meeting it will be ready to maiden.. or else! 8)
Have to get my bench cleared for the new balsa build class/biplane project.  Looking forward to it.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Wingnutz

For those of you struggling to find the energy and time to complete your Unionville Norseman, here's some inspiration! http://www.warplane.com/MassMailer/DesktopModules/ShowMailer.aspx?MailingsID=30

Wingnutz

It's taken me longer than anyone else but my Norseman is slowly making progress towards getting airborne! This summer looks doable...wings are covered and the model is finally starting to capture the character of the old lady of Canadian bushplanes...except...IT's ON WHEELS!!! :o :o :o No self respecting Canadian bushplane should ever be allowed in public without its floats!
CRS's floats are at the back of the photos but that's going to be a minor project by itself!

Papa

Looking good Bill.

A word of caution, you might want to maiden it with a two bladed prop. Then when it's sorted you can try the three blade. I started with a three blade on mine and it was marginal. It was almost at full throttle all the time. No margin for error.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Ededge2002

Im never going to Bill's place.  The beers there are so small!

Looks good bill.  Its a long road but who knows when this summer will ever arive
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?