Edward McMann TEMAC #2003

Started by Ededge2002, April 27, 2013, 11:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ededge2002

It all started for me in the 1984.  I leered at the models at "leisure world" in the bayfield mall.  It was a dream.  No way could I swing the $$ to buy the pieces to put together one of these flying contraptions...

I got a job making $3.15 an hour at Burger King and saved...  and saved...  The local club was having a funfly and offering FREE trainer cord flights.  It was perfect!  Free I could afford!  There I met a couple of the members and they took me under there wing...(see what I did there?)  My parents starting to notice that I was spending a small fortune...   They asked "why are you spending all your money on those toys"  I replied in a moment of brilliance "well I could be off drinking and smoking drugs with my friends....  I got a hobby room!  It was a dream!

I learned to fly with the trainer cord and my first model lasted me a year.  I was in deep.  There was no recovery.

I flew for about ten years flying glow models and made fun of the pathetic electric crap.   Life happened,  Stupid Girls,  Cars etc etc.  But I had packed everything away very carefully.

The second wave...    I moved back home for a summer to work at a friends farm.  All the stuff was there and I bought a Super kaos kit and built it.  I flew it four times and it was very fast and super solid in the air.  I was in love again! 
I crashed it. 

I went to a bar to drown my sorrows and stupid as it sounds had a picture of it with me.  The waitress there seemed to have some idea what I was moaning about and low and behold she knew what RC flying was!  She also was quite attractive....  Christmas came and she bought me a plane.  I flew if for several years.  I was in stinking glow fuel,  paper towels,  noisy,  tuned pipe heaven.  Oh it was awesome...  Even tried to 3D with 40 sized glow models and crazy prop combos. 

Then I met Dave.
He would be at the field with these new fangled Lipoly batteries and GWS foamys.  In the winter they could fly little foam board planes INSIDE...  (if you can imagine!)  If you have never flown glow in the winter here is a hint to what its like.  take a bottle of rubbing alcohol pour it on your hands and stick them in the freezer then imagine there was wind.

Since then I have built almost any type of plane I ever dreamed of.  Electric power had changed!  I have gone to a funeral in a suit and flown in the waiting period between the service and the burial..  yes im that sick and I hope there is no cure!

Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

You are sick, Ed!  I love it!  ;D

bfeist

I miss flying in the winter with NiCad batteries. They got nice and warm during a flight and you could warm your hands with them after you landed.

Ededge2002

It is with a heavy heart and a lump in my oh um... throat. I have post that I will be leaving TEMAC. it's been three brilliant years that I've been a member and of all the clubs I've ever paid membership TEMAC is the only one that I ever wanted to belong to. The enthusiasm, the technology, the events and even the executive have been a highlight of my 30 years in the hobby. It has been my pleasure to meet and fly with each and every one of the TEMACers!

I will be moving to Ottawa very shortly (like next week shortly) and don't know if I will be around much even though my family won't be moving till late July. The reason for the move is my life's dream. I have been hired by a UAV company to build, test fly and instruct how to operate the company's product. Its a HUGE jump and I have been holding my breath for about a week I am so excited about the possibilities. I will try to keep some experiences in this thread but I will have to learn the company's confidentiality rules first.

Thanks to everyone that made my time at the club so terrific!!

sihinch

Ed

You will be sorely missed. I'm so delighted for you, and that outweighs any negative, but TEMAC will not be quite the same without you.

I would not be the builder or pilot that I am today without your coaching. You have been so patient and so generous with your time. Thank you.

It's awesome that you have your dream job. I hope your schedule will perhaps allow you to come back for a pilots meeting and tell us all about your awesome new industry.

And please stay active on the forum. You'll be welcome back anytime.

Good luck. Congratulations. Now what are you selling?

S

Ededge2002

Quote" Now what are you selling?"

Just my soul so far and there is but one bidder!

Andy Hoffer

This is so bittersweet.  You must be over the moon, Ed.  Wishing you every success with the UAVs.  We can't wait to see your genuine Special Flight Operations Certificate from Transport Canada.

Oh, and please do a thread for Simon on how to retrieve jet planes from trees.  He will be inconsolable if he plants another one up there with no prospect of retrieval!!

And tell Liz she did a fabulous job of showing what a great dad she has!!

Sincerely,

"S'noballs" Hoffer (You will think of me when you get a taste of Ottawa winters!)

bfeist

Say it aint so Ed. I hope you'll continue to be a fixture on the forum at least. I also hope you can make the time to come to the Kingston RC club funfly on the July long weekend. Lots of TEMAC people will be there and it's half way!

flying IT

sorry to hear you are leaving, but also very happy that u have a job with working with UAV's.  I know that you will excel in it.

thehaze

UAV's cool!!! I'm guessing they don't know about what happened with the X-Plane then? Don't worry, your secret is safe with us.

Congrats on the new job. It sounds amazing and I'm pretty sure you will be amazing at it. It's been an absolute blast to fly with you and I'll miss watching you beat us in the Nooner races (lying here).

As others have said, don't be a stranger to the forum and if you join another club in Ottawa and they like to go fast and turn left, tell them about the Nooners, and let them know we could use some fresh competition.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Papa

Hi Ed, wonderful news. Think of the positives, I won't have to put your name on the Piker Championship Trophy. I won't have look at your colourful underwear. I won't be tormented by your models I hear but cannot see. I won't have to bank on you showing up to every work party, I won't be inflicted by your awful taste in YouTube clips. And On and On.

But truthfully I will miss the constant stream of personal support and encouragement you have offered me and the gratitude you have extended for whatever little things I have done for the club. This club is made for folks like you and your responses always proved we were on the right track. Thank you for three wonderful years and an excellent example for all to emulate.

If you fail to show for the skills challenge I may have to re-evaluate my assessment!

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

We will miss you!

You have only added to the fun and laughs, and of course you are welcome to visit anytime you come back.

Please stay active on our website.

Good luck to you and your family.
Michael

battlestu

whaaat who is going to chase my spitfire around?

Great news Ed; we want to see pictures of your UAVs.
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

electroflyer

I'm sorry, after he crashed that beautiful X-Plane, I personally believe that he should be banished to Ottawa, let the punishment fit the crime! ;D

In the meantime Ed, let me congratulate you on your new path.
Best wishes!
   Glenn

piker

Hey Ed!

Congrats on the new job!  There USED to be a lot of electric flyers in the Ottawa area, so even though you may not have an electric only club, you won't be alone.

And Kingston is in less than two weeks.  Many of us will be there and many will be camping at the field.  You have no excuses since you're living the bachelor life for a couple of months.

I know Michael and I will be there by early afternoon on Friday and will fly in the evening and/or go for dinner in town.  We MAY even go to a movie.  That's how wild and crazy we are.  I'll be at the fun fly until late afternoon on Sunday.  Glenn, Greg H, Colin, and Ben, etc. are also regulars who will likely all be there.

See you there!!!