Mike Hazelton CFI TEMAC #96

Started by thehaze, April 30, 2013, 08:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thehaze

First an introduction from Jeremy Clarkson....

"Some say, he can will a plane to fly just by looking at it."

"Some say, he can land a model without bending a single blade of grass."

"And even some others say he doesn't crash planes, he just gets tired of flying them."

"All we know is that he's called the CFI..."

;D

Ok so none of that may be true, but I need to build on my legend because the true story is rather boring....

Growing up, my Dad got me interested in model airplanes, although the only flights they made were in my imagination as they were mostly hung from the ceiling of my room. I still remember the P-61 Black Widow that hung above my bed, that was one really cool looking plane. Perhaps one day I'll build and fly one. We did mess around with model rockets and had many adventures trying to retrieve them after launch.

Fast forward to 2007. I bought my first plane, a Hobbyzone Commander 2. It was a 3 channel pod and boom RTF kit with a NiMh battery. Compared to what is out there right now it kind of sucked, but I had so much fun flying that plane in the soccer field near my house (I know, I know..). After that I bought a Parkzone Spitfire (version 1 with the brushless motor) and promptly destroyed it. My brother, who was also getting into the hobby mentioned a club in Stouffville that sounded like fun. After the demolition of the Spitfire I decided that I needed someone to teach me how to fly so I joined and learned the ropes on a GWS e-starter (the most forgiving plane of all time) and later an Eflite Apprentice. Now I consider TEMAC my second home and one of my most favourite places on earth.

In 2010 I joined the instructor team and in 2012 I was asked to be CFI, which was humbling, since I still don't consider myself an expert pilot. But you know what they say "those who can't... teach". I really enjoy training new pilots and watching someone fly a model for the first time is extremely rewarding.

My interests in the hobby have changed over time. However I do consider myself more of a pilot than a builder, as I'd be the first to admit that building is not my forte. When I first started I was elated to just take off, fly the circuit, land, and return home with the model I brought. Then all I wanted to do was burn holes in the sky with faster and faster models. Lately, I have taken an interest in the competitive elements of the hobby. More specifically Pylon Racing (Electric Formula One), and Precision Aerobatics (F3A). My goal is to eventually compete in a sanctioned competition in both.  I like to fly "with a purpose" and have set certain goals for myself to accomplish. 

That's it.

Mike

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.