SPADES: Team Spades

Started by battlestu, May 06, 2013, 03:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

battlestu

Hey guys,

Ben created a little space for each team to discuss Nooner racing. Since i believe everyone has had their plane in the air; when is everyone free to get some practice laps in?

Keep in mind Wednesday (May 8th) is the first student night of the year and will likely be very busy. Thursday (May 9th) is a tentative float fly and Sunday (May 12th) is mother's day.

How does Saturday sound for everyone?

Greg
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Bobmic

Might be able to make it Friday evening but Saturday is good - preferably Saturday morning but I don't think this will work with Michael

Bobby

battlestu

if all goes well I'm hoping to sneak out after work tonight  ;D

Lets see how the 4:00 meeting goes

Michael

I am working all weekend.

If my plane is ready (some changes are in progress) I'll have it with me before flight instruction tomorrow.
Michael

battlestu

got some laps in last night... it's fun little plane.

Does anyone got some advice on adding mixes? She climbs too much at full power and i don't feel like fighting during a race

Greg

Bobmic

I can not comment on racing as I have no clue how I can keep it in a tight loop but I added a throttle to elevator mix which seemed to be working fine.
Text me in the evening and I will check the mix level I put it will give you a reference point - I think something like 5% down elevator.

Frank v B

FvB update:
- maidened my TEMAC Nooner last Wednesday (first instruction night) and flew great.  Sparred with EdEdge and felt fine.  Speed was comparable but he flies wide.

Trick- and it answers your question on how to keep the nose down: I put in down trim so it loses altitude if I let the sticks go out of a turn.  Giving down elevator input is dangerous. 

My plane comes in at exactly 18 amps static on a 4.1x4.1 APC prop.  Rumours have it Ed is flying about 3 amps more and the ESC is holding out.  I may upgrade to a 4.75 x 4.1 prop to get a few more watts.

My feeling is precise cornering will pay bigger dividends than flying fast but wide.  18 amps seems to put it at the limit for controllable flight for the average Clubber.  Adding 2-4 amps will probably put it over the hairy edge. 

The Nooner is a quick plane at 18 amps and the racing should be fast and exciting.

I am using 1000 mah packs and will last easily for the 10 laps.  I also have 1300 packs in case I need more duration but no need for more capacity than that.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"