Float Flying at Frenchman's Bay, May 9th

Started by piker, May 08, 2013, 11:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

One of the dates on the TEMAC schedule for float flying this summer is TOMORROW, May 9th!

I'd really like to get the float flying series started, so we can build on the enthusiasm from last summer.  The weather for tomorrow looks quite favourable, with low chance of rain, and gentle winds that should calm right down in the evening.

SO, I will plan to be at Frenchman's Bay (in Pickering) for 5:30pm, May 9th with my boat and a couple of seaplanes.  If you're interested and able to make it out, please let me know ASAP so I can gauge the interest.  Check back here often to keep up to date on the planning.  Everyone is welcome.

Here's a Google Maps link to the exact location:

Whites Rd/Regional Rd 38 to Beachpoint Promenade - Google Maps

So who's in for some awesome float flying?!!!

Robert

Wingnutz

Good thing you posted! I was going to see what Preston Lake is all about!
Will do my best to be there.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

Hey Bill!  Can you make it?  Ken Wilton is coming out with his Flyzone Beaver.  Should be really cool to see it flying from the water!

Michael was planning to come out with several of his planes.  I'll confirm with him.  Might be a good night for his Schneider Macchi MC72 maiden!

I'll bring three planes along to help keep the lake and sky busy.

It'll be a nice evening on the beach!

Oh, BTW, don't fly at Preston Lake unless at an event arranged by either Jack or myself.  It's private property on the north side and we have an "in" with a new friend there, but we need to keep it coordinated with him.  We'll get out flying there soon enough.  There's no access to the lake that isn't on private property.

Robert

piker

Hey Simon!  Are you in?  It's on a week night!   ;D

Gregor77

Simon should try not to wreck the paint job on the Catalina!  Hummm... Maybe it is time to get another one... lol!   ::)   

sihinch

Sadly I can't make it this time. Take photos!

piker

Awesome evening of float flying tonight guys!

I was worried that it might be just me and Ken Wilton there tonight (as he was the only definite response), not that that wouldn't have been great, but the more the merrier.  Well, there were 6 of us flying all sorts of different seaplanes with quite a few spectators (some we knew, like John Werner and David Laurey) and a bunch we didn't, who just stopping for a look.

Out flying was Jack H., Bill Q., Ken W., Nestor, Gerry and myself.

This was one of those evenings when the winds calmed down, the sunset cast a beautiful pink sky, and silky touch and goes were the order of the day.  Gerry and Ken had lights on their plane that looked fantastic.  Oh, and Ken's Beaver flew beautifully.  Some of my planes had issues, but my Cub flew nicely so John W. mounted a small digital video camera to the wing, so we'll see how that turns out.  I even flew over to the lake side for a tour of the beach and a touch and go on open Lake Ontario.

We ended the evening with a late dinner and snack at the local Tims/Wendys.

Good times for sure!

Robert

Ededge2002

Congrats and thanks for the report from the beach
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

thehaze

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

sihinch

Now I'm jealous!

Thanks for organizing, Robert!

Gregor77

Carmen was not feeling well last night. But man. Sounds like a great time. Any pictures.

Wingnutz

Rob, Jack,
Thanks for a spectacular evening! Whoever ordered the weather is to be commended. Not often you can schedule a weather dependent event months ahead and have perfect weather!
Even though I could only stay a short time, I had a great time! Really looking forward to the next one!
I did manage to join the Hinchcliff Arborist's Society and put my Seawind in a tree (damn thing jumped right out into the bay to grab my model!) but it's back together without the tree branch where the canopy usually sits!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

Here's a video of Ken Wilton's first flight with his Beaver.  I need to work on the camera work a bit.

BTW, the annoying whine in the background is from a guy who shoed up with a quadcopter.

Ken's Beaver First Flight

And a nice landing from Bill:

Bill's Nice Landing

Robert

Ededge2002

Nice videos and flying from the marine department!  Looks like a nice spot to fly behind the breakwall.  Only thing that frightens me is all the bugs visible in the first video.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Kenvention2

Robert,

Thanks for posting the video. A great night of flying for sure.

I'm thinking of giving the white floats a soft hit of silver to make them look
a little more scale. The Beaver flies really well and judging by what was left in the 2200mAh packs I can do an easy 8 minutes
and still have time for go around in case the real beaver pops his head up during landing.

Let me know the next time you want to take a night off work and I'll come out again.

Ken