Frank van Beurden, TEMAC #141

Started by Frank v B, May 19, 2013, 10:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

I have been building and flying gas powered models since I was 9 years old but travelling always got in the way.
Born in Bangkok (yes,Thailand) lived in Singapore, Indonesia, 4 places in Holland, New York and Toronto...all before I was 11 years old.  Kindergarten to grade 9 in 9 schools, 4 countries and 3 languages.  Guess what.  I have lived in Toronto at Yonge and St Clair for 36 years and I ain't moving!!
In 1971 at the age of 18, my parents and 3 siblings were transferred back to Holland.  My older brother and I stayed behind in Toronto.  I finished my education here (BBA, MBA, York).
For 12 years worked in corporate life in the food business in the Marketing end (Nabisco, Nestle and Seagram's).  Then my wife and I started our own business 30 years ago and are still happily enjoying a relatively simple life.

Started back in modelling in 1987 with a PT40 and have been a flight instructor for 30 years including CFI.  Started in Electric in about 1995 with an Electricub and have gradually switched my fleet of 40 airplanes over to electric.  I only have one slimer left.

My wife and I have 4 children (28-39 years old) and basically started our business so we could watch them grow up and be there for them.  My other time-stealing activity is that I am a National Level Triathlon Referee and referee between 13 and 15 races a year from late May to mid September.  Was a referee at the 2003 Duathlon world championships in Belgium and 2008  Triathlon World Championships in Vancouver.  Reffed the 2014 test race for Pan Am Games in Toronto as well.  Two of my children raced Pro level.  My daughter Nicole (38) still does.  As of 2018 I have significantly reduced the number of races refereed.

My flying weapons of choice are small, quick but subsonic airplanes with a liberal salting of (relatively) slower scale models (Beaver, P51, Spitfire, etc.).

Even though I joined TEMAC with the understanding I did not want to instruct... I got roped in by the TEMAC HVV (Higgins Vortex of Volunteering) and now suffer once a week flying other peoples' airplanes on Wednesday evenings.

Frank van Beurden
"Never trade luck for skill"