Frenchman's Bay Float Fly - June 1

Started by piker, May 28, 2013, 10:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Saweet!  Michael says he'll tag along too.  Maybe we'll see the mini Schneider Mc72 take flight!

Kenvention2

flyboy

Papa

We were and it was great night for flying. Thank you Robert for all the effort and the recovery punt. Fortunately I did not have to use it twice. I got two good flights until a mysterious and possibly expensive sound from the motor shut down the second flight somewhat prematurely. The main thing was I got out of trouble myself. Ken Ross was there lending support.

He flew his depron early model that he brought to show and tell. It was very tricky and exhibited some very excessive and unwanted wing warping. More bracing before it commits flight again. Gary Coniam was out as a guest and Nestor showed up with the rain. They waited but I bailed if you will pardon the pun.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Kenvention2

Too late from work to make the drive. Although I did get a chance to test run my airboat recovery/camera platform on a local pond.

I need more speed and long spray rails

Next time,

Ken

sihinch

Damn, my assumption was that is was too windy. Sorry I missed it.

Thanks Robert for taking your boat/trailer out.

Hope everyone had a great time.

flyboy

We got a bit of heavy rain and wind late in the evening but things settled down just in time for Julien to get in his first flight off of water with his Icon A5 - he did a great job especially considering the quickly failing light. We were also treated to Robert flying his Beaver - with full navigation lighting! It was amazing how well the lighting worked. Although I was not flying it I found it very easy to both see the plane and maintain visual orientation - this was at about 9PM! I guess I'll have to drop by A & J's to buy one now  ;D

We also had a little excitement with Robert's boat being blown out to sea by a sudden gust of wind  :o and a very valliant (and successful) effort from Nestor on a Seadoo to recover it.

Alway's exciting times with the TEMAC crew!

Thanks agian Robert for a great evening of flying and looking forward to maidening my (soon to be) new Beaver.

flyboy

Robert,

Did you ever find the hinge pins for your boat/trailer?

piker

Yes, I found them in one of the pouches in my tool bag.  I knew they'd show up  ;D

It certainly was an entertaining evening of float flying on Saturday!  See guys... float flying is always an adventure. 

My hope for the weather that day was that the storm would hit in mid afternoon then blow over and be followed by a nice evening.  Well, it started to look that way.  By the time I arrive at the beach, just after 5:00, I was met by Ken Ross and a gentle breeze and quite smooth water flying surface.  Ken had already had a flight before I arrived.  We prepared the rescue boat as Jack arrived, then we started flying.  Ken flew through several packs worth of airtime on his Aqua Sport and, as Jack mentioned, Ken flew his new plane quite well, but the landing needs some work   :)

Jack had a couple of good flight with his Apprentice, but needs to solve the vibration problem.  He made a great save on the second flight when the motor started to sound like it was going to fly off the front of the plane.

I flew the new Beaver a few times and I'm very happy with the way it flies, and it certainly did look good as the light faded, with it's navigation lights.  I also flew the Cub, but not the Sandringham as the whether (that's right "whether") was uncertain.  Yep.  Not sure "whether" it was gong to rain or not.

So the rain finally did pick-up and Ken and Jack called it an evening.  Nestor convinced me to wait it out, and I'm glad I did as Julian, Eric, and Joe showed up with Julian's Icon.  When the rain finally "stopped"... well, slowed down a bit, Eric made his first awesome flight from water.  I flew the Beaver again as Nestor flew another flight with his GWS Cub.  Then Julian had a great flight with the icon for his first flight from water... and he did a great job!

Oh, and as Joe mentioned, my trailer lid boat made a break for it and started heading East across the bay.  Next thing I knew, Nestor had lassoed a jet ski and was chasing after it.  Nestor and his helper brought it back, safe and sound, and Nestor even managed to stay relatively dry!

Anyway, Good time for sure.  I'll arrange another one soon!

Robert

piker

The Great Rescue Boat Recovery!