BobbyW

Started by BobbyW, July 28, 2013, 07:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobbyW

Hi folks...

I'm just now getting into the hobby, and although I'm located in Welland, Ontario and more than likely to join one of the local clubs here, I thought I'd register for the TEMAC forum in order to track the escapades of my dear and long time friend, "Wingnutz" (TEMAC# 122, Bill Quantock).

For several years now, Bill has been extolling the entertainment, enjoyment and diversions of radio controlled aircraft and he finally succeeded in reeling me in. About three weeks ago I committed to an R/C sim program, AeroFly 5, one of very few programs available for the Mac. I figured if the bug had truly bit, it would show up quickly on the sim whether this was something that I really wanted to do.

A week in front of the computer was positive... I had fun, and it appeared that I might actually be able to learn to "fly" at the ripe old age of... ahhh, never mind ☺

The deal was sealed when Bill and I went to ROGO Field last weekend and he insisted that I take control of his Apprentice (with buddy box and him doing the takeoff/landings).  I had a blast during those four ten-minute sessions and I guess I'm now into the hobby for the duration.

I think I'll get the new E-flite Apprentice S 15e RTF, to start and possibly a HobbyZone Champ RTF, as one of the local clubs has Friday AM flying at an indoor Sports Complex (soccer field size, I believe).

RTF is the only way to go, as far as I can see, for the beginner, but once I have the experience, I can see kits being something that I could really get into, based on my enjoyment with scale static models. First kit? ... probably a warbird ☺

Cheers,

Bob Wheaton
Welland, Ontario
Aerofly 5 R/C Flight Simulator for Mac
E-flite Apprentice S 15e RTF
HobbyZone Micro Champ RTF
Spectrum DX8

Wingnutz

Aww shucks! I'm all choked up...but wait! The wind has died away! Time to go flying! Feeling much better!
BTW Bob, I ended up at Warbirds by the Bay yesterday...I had nothing scheduled and didn't want to sit around the house by myself. It was a good show but the weather wasn't great...gray skies, drizzle, a line squall and rain for about ten minutes. TTYL
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

imran13

The HobbyZone Champ is a really good plane to start with, that's what I learned on, and that's also what got me hooked on this hobby :D

Good luck :)
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

sihinch

I second those comments on the Champ, it got me flying too!

Welcome Bobby! Great 1st post.

S

Frank v B

BobbyW,

If you are in Welland and flying in an indoor soccer arena you must have run into Alex Gray from Port Colbourne.  He flew at least two years at the TEMAC funfly while he was living in Toronto.  His basement has more kits and models than most hobby shops.  The biggest mistake I ever made was to volunteer to drive all his built models down to Port Colbourne when he moved.  My van was filled with about 40 built models.  A member of the Metro Marine Modelers volunteered to deliver all his RC boats.  He had a van full as well.  Alex flies with the Rose City Flyers.  Contact him.  He will get you established.  He has an Apprentice as well.
Let me know if you want an introduction.

Frank van Beurden TEMAC #141
416-483-1394
"Never trade luck for skill"

BobbyW

Frank...

Thanks for jumping in on this thread. I really appreciate the info.

I haven't actually started flying yet, aside from the adventures with Bill two weekends ago, so I haven't been to the RCMF indoor facility. I did however, go out to the field last Friday and talked with several of their members... I think there was about 6-7 of them out there that day. As is customary, I don't remember any of the names but I was talking to their CFI. They seem like a good bunch of guys, with a good mix of experience and interests... as best I could tell from that one visit.

Although a bit closer to me, the "other" Niagara area club was not as impressive.

When I get registered with MAAC, I'll be making a more formal contact with the club and if you want to hook me up with Alex before that, that would be great.

Cheers, Bob
Spectrum DX8

BobbyW

HobbyZone Champ RTF now in the hanger... awaiting bad back issues to subside, before attempting first flight. In the meantime, I've got my MAAC membership in order.
Spectrum DX8

Wingnutz

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Have you come up with a short list for RC Clubs in the Welland area or is the list pretty short anyway?
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

BobbyW

Back issue just about gone... hope to take HZ Champ to local park tmo, weather permitting. I've signed up with MAAC and have contacted Rose City Model Flyers (RCMF) in Welland, to take the next step in my R/C "career".
Spectrum DX8