Frenchman's Bay Float Fly - Sunday August 11!!!

Started by piker, August 06, 2013, 03:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

A Nooner on floats, wow this I gotta see!

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

thehaze

I'm just going to hot glue some foam blocks to the wing tips.  Should be perfect,
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Papa

OH! That's a relief just make sure you have prop clearance.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

piker

We had a great night of float flying, last night, at Frenchman's Bay.  I hope Greg H. will post some pictures.

It never did calm down as hoped, but that didn't stop the guys from getting out there and flying until after sunset.  The winds were light and more than manageable for any plane.

Let's see... who was flying....  Well, Greg H. came out with his Eagle 2 trainer on home built floats and enjoyed a couple of nice flights.  I heard him mention that he didn't realize float flying was so easy after having flown from floats, for the first time, at last weeks wind fest.  I think he had a great time  :)  Jack was flying his reliable Mentor on floats, Michael flew several planes, with three of them being the first time off water.  I think the one he was most pleased with was his Cub, which had a couple of failed attempts before (simply because of wind).  We had a bunch of Ken's out.  Ken Ross with a couple of planes, one of which was the Hansa that he recently acquired from Colin.  He flew that plane over and over.  His other plane (can't remember the name) seemed to have some radio issues.  Ken Wilton made it out with his Beaver, and tried his best to wear that plane out.  And Ken Raulins brought out his Seawind and Puddlemaster and flew many times until the motor on his Seawind magically disappeared.

Simon did his best to terrorize the lake with his Formosa on GWS floats.  It started with ramming the rescue boat and finished with a high speed crash into the water while trying to use a buoy as a pylon.  Glenn was there with his Beaver and his awesome (I'm biased) Supermarine S4, Schneider racer, modeled after the British entry in 1925.  We even had a fly together flight with the S4 and my Macchi M-33 from the same year.  Good times!  Gordon finally made it out for some float flying but his plane was acting up so he didn't have much luck.  Nestor was also able to make it, but his plane was also acting up.  Better luck next time, guys.  It's the trials and tribulations that make the successes so much sweeter.  I had my Beaver, Cub, M-33 and Astro Hog there.  The Hog didn't make it in the air as the new ESC didn't want to cooperate.  On my way home I realized why and it would have been a 30 second adjustment.  Ugh!.  Still, I had a nice time flying the other planes.  And finally (I hope I didn't miss anyone) Hike H. brought out Ed's speed boat and raced that thing around for a while, chewing up weeds and leaving an impressive rooster tail.  It really moved out nicely.

Of course, every flight was a highlight, but some that stood out were the late evening flight of the three Beavers with their leading edge lighting showing nicely (I hope Greg got a photo), Michaels perfect take-off and landing with his Cub, Ken Ross's maiden and many excellent flights with the Hansa, Greg H. and his Eagle and self designed and built floats,  Simon's escapades, and, of course, the Schneider "race".

We also had a lot of vistors from club members to people just walking by and stopping for a look.  It was quite a hive of activity!

Thanks to everyone who came out and enjoyed the evening.  My reasons for organizing these float fly's are purely selfish.  It's so much more fun to share the experiences with friends who also have a good time, then to just go flying on my own. 

We'll do it again sometime soon!

Robert

sihinch

thehaze

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Michael

Quote from: piker on August 12, 2013, 11:38:49 AM
I hope Greg H. will post some pictures.

Robert

Greg took a lot of fantastic photos.
I'm working on them now, and will post several this evening, and I expect Jack will get a few 'Ticklers' published too!

Michael

battlestu

yep I'm certain I've flooded Jack's inbox with photos (even had my gmail account locked because they thought i was sending spam ;) )

I shared a few shots in the who's flying tomorrow thread but here are a few that might not make it into the tickler... see if you can spot me in my camo shirt (i was hidden so well Ken never even saw me), a yellow Rio that never could fly (but it did move quickly) and few spectators.

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Michael

27 float fly photos cropped and Photoshopped for Jack; He gets first pick for the Tickler, then I'll post more.
Michael

sihinch

Love your new Avatar, Greg - who took that photo of you?  :P

piker

Are they Photoshopped to make us look thinner or younger?

battlestu

Quote from: sihinch on August 12, 2013, 03:01:04 PM
Love your new Avatar, Greg - who took that photo of you?  :P

i was just hanging out eating ribs ...just another day in Stouffville:
Boston Pizza Meets The Ribneck - Part 2

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Michael

Photos

Michael

Michael

More photos
Michael