August 31 Float Fly - New Location!

Started by piker, August 21, 2013, 03:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

O.K. Float Flyers!  Time for another float flying get together, but this time at an exciting new location that I hope we can use for a couple of official float fly's next summer.  This time we're on private property at the invitation of the land owner, who has a large pond, about twice the length of the TEMAC runway, with good approaches at each end.  I haven't seen the site yet, other than from Google maps, but it looks like it'll be ideal.

Let's get together at 3:00pm until dark, on Saturday, August 31 at the location shown on the link below.  This is a private home and I haven't even met the homeowner yet myself, so I'm hoping we can show up, make a great impression (I have no doubt), and get ourselves invited back.

Here's the link to Google Maps:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Teston+Rd%2FRegional+Rd+49&daddr=Teston+Rd&hl=en&ll=43.857678,-79.569511&spn=0.080085,0.128746&sll=43.861855,-79.553504&sspn=0.02002,0.032187&geocode=FShUnQIdPx5C-w%3BFZgvnQIdRGpB-w&t=h&mra=me&mrsp=0,1&sz=15&z=13

If you have any questions, please let me know.  Also please make sure your planes are in good working order before the event to ensure we have lots of successful flights.

I hope many of you can make it even though it's the long weekend.  It'll be a lot of fun, and I expect this will be a better (different at least) site than Frenchman's Bay because it's more sheltered from the wind.

Here's a picture of the site:

sihinch

This sounds awesome, and what a generous offer.

We've got visitors but I'll see if I can negotiate a pass-out! :)

imran13

This could be the first temac float fly I attend :D
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Ededge2002

Is that a COVERED horse track in the background?  what the heck!  Horses were obsolete the day Henry Ford was born!!!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Kenvention2

Fabulous offer and that looks like a great place to fly from. Too bad for me i'm already booked somewhere else.

I hope it goes smoothly.

Ken

Tomahawk

Take a look from the Google view.  There is a lot more to see.  It looks like a private full scale airstrip running along the east side of the lake.

Chris

piker

Yes, Chris, I notice that too, and that gave me hope when I was contacting the land owner... hoping that he had an interest in aviation.  Apparently that image was captured during a charity event when a couple of people flew in for the day.  I wonder if it was the same day of the TEMAC fun fly when the image of the TEMAC field was captured.

piker

This is a reminder that we have a very exciting float flying opportunity this coming Saturday, August 31 at the new location detailed above.

This is a private pond that should make a GREAT float flying site, and even though they're calling for rain on Saturday, I'm sure they'll be wrong.  It's going to be nice and the winds will be gentle.   :)

So, come on out to the float fly on Saturday and help me try out this new pond!  I'll have my planes and the retrieval boat ready, and I plan to fly until dark over the nice, calm water.  The Beaver has lights :-)

If you have any questions you can ask here or call my cell at 416-828-8722

Robert

eric

Is it still 3:00pm start? Crossing my fingers, but it looks good at this point for me making it out. Fortunately, I brought all my float planes home from the cottage with me, so I'm ready to go. Anybody know an anti-rain dance?

Eric

piker

I hope you can make it, Eric.  I'll be there at 3:00pm for sure. 

Even if it's raining I'll be there at 3:00, I still want to use this opportunity to see the place... but it's NOT going to rain....

See you there!

Robert

piker

As promised, the weather forecast for tomorrow is improving.

We'll have an amazing place to fly, light winds, sunny skies, and... maybe a small chance of rain.  I predict an awesome late afternoon / evening of float flying.

I hope you can make it!

When you arrive, just look for my truck and trailer and park near it.  I think we'll set-up and fly from the little beach at the south west corner of the pond.

Robert

battlestu

plane is ready and batteries are charging :)... Can't wait for Saturday!!
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

imran1042

I should be there :D Just bought a Parkzone Icon!
Any day at the field is a good day :)

battlestu

made it to the gates and got called into work  :'( ... fly one for me guys!

and get lots of pictures!
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

Oh, Greg, that sucks!

I'm sorry buddy!