August 31 Float Fly - New Location!

Started by piker, August 21, 2013, 03:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

battlestu

no worries ... just part of the glory in being a computer engineer  ;D

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

gmcnic

I think Robert came through on his weather prediction and it must have been a great float-fly.  I stopped by ROGO field to find a solitary Mike H early this afternoon.  Always willing to assist, he taught me a few things about servos.  Thanks Mike!!

Hope you all had a great float-fly!

Michael

Quote from: sihinch on August 31, 2013, 05:33:09 PM
Oh, Greg, that sucks!

I'm sorry buddy!

I'm sorry for you both.

That was the best float flying event I have ever been to!

I flew at least 12 flights from 3pm until after 7pm, and there was just about non-stop flying of 3 (or more) flyers the entire time.

I don't recall a single crash, and one plane (Jack's Mentor) that had a radio problem was found safely with zero damage, in a tree.

The location was amazing (thanks Robert for finding it), and the owner of the property couldn't have been nicer. The pond was about 2 to 3 times the size of the TEMAC field, and the wind was light, and almost gone by 7pm.

I flew my 1/5 scale Cub on floats, Multiplex Twinstar on floats, Parkzone Icon A5, KMP CL415 Waterbomber, Polaris Ultra and my E-Flie Carbon Cub, each plane at least 2 times.

There were many other kinds of planes including Roberts Schneider Cup racer, his Astro Hog on floats, there were 3 Kens with a multitude of planes, our younger TEMAC contingent were out in force with repeated flights of a new Parkzone Icon, there were Flyzone Beavers, Nester was there with a couple nice float planes, Eric flew a van-full of float planes, and so on and so on.

Just a terrific time!

Michael

eric

I agree with Michael; the best float flying day I've ever had as well. I flew 7 packs through my float planes.

The location was absolutely brilliant, the owner couldn't have been nicer (he even drove us around the lake in his 4 x 4 and bush whacked with us through the undergrowth to help find Jack's plane) and the weather was perfect, with none of the oppressive humidity we've been suffering lately. All in all, a great, great time.

Thanks to Robert for finding such a marvelous venue. The only negative of the whole affair is that we can't fly there every day!

Eric

Wingnutz

Like Michael and Eric, this was probably the most enjoyable float fly session I've ever experienced. Thanks Rob for setting it up! Thanks also to the property owner...our host ...for opening up such a spectacular site! I've just realized I don't even know his name...anyone???
Flew the four models I took and shared the fun of the hobby with my longtime friend who is entering the hobby while he flew my Apprentice on floats and I helped with a buddy box.
Epic session! Thanks to all who were there to share it!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

imran13

First time float flying - and I'm hooked ;D

Need to do that more often. It was really awesome and a lot easier than I (or Imran H) expected it to be.

Thanks to Rob who made this happen. It left a great impression.

Thanks to Michael who helped us figure out how to get the Icon back to shore ;D

When's the next float fly?  ;D
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Ededge2002

Disappointed I did not attend. The "tails" of the story are the selling point. Well done Robert and motley crue 
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

piker

Wow!  What a fantastic day of flying.  That was a wonderful location, and the weather worked out very well with only a slight, refreshing sprinkle for a few minutes (not even enough to cover the radios and chargers).  And the winds were gentle and from a good direction.

David, and his assistant, Hugo, were the most gracious hosts you can imagine, despite the fact that we were all perfect strangers to them, and there was nothing in this for them.  some of us stayed til almost 8:00 and finished the day with silky smooth water and a flurry of gentle touch and goes.  Now THAT is what float flying is all about.

Thanks to everyone who came out and made the get together as much fun as it was.  It wouldn't have been the same with only a couple people out there so it was nice to have a crowd.  I think we made a good impression, and even though we drove and parked all over David's lawn, after the last car left, you wouldn't have known we were there.

I took lots of pictures and video, but I'll have to get some of that posted in a few days when I have time.

Oh, and I asked David, before we left, if there might be opportunity to do this 2 or 3 times next year, and he was completely open to the idea.  So, next year, we will do this again, and I hope those who couldn't make it this time will be there next year.

And this is not the last float fly of the season.  I hope we can do at least two more (at Frenchman's or maybe Preston), as we still have September and early October to play with!

Robert

imran13

Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

sihinch

Wow, amazing tails and enthusiasm.  Sounds like a wonderful evening.

Thanks to Robert and our Hosts.

I'll make it to the next one, come hell or high water!!

electroflyer

Thanks Rob,

It really was a great place to fly!
   By the way, Best dead stick, non-radio controlled landing has to go to Jack and his Mentor. The aircraft just gently settled into a beautiful free flight glide and ended up to the North west part of the property!

Papa

That's more a testament to Michael's skill at trimming than anything I did.

Will trouble shoot the problem tonight and let you know the results.

When your model tells you all is not right don't ignore it and fly.
My dumb mistake was to gamble and think I could get away with it.

Thank you to David Tovares, our host, for persisting in the search and
Nestor, Eric, Gerry and Robert for slogging through the ragweed.
I had tried earlier but was exhausted and unsuccessful. Try finding a green
and yellow plane in green and yellow ragweed.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Papa

Ok I found the problem and now I feel even more dumb!

I have used an automotive switch, as a cut-off, and it has worked fine for two models through crashes etc.

It uses bayonet connectors and yesterday one came partially loose. If I had detected it, a push to lock it in place
would have been all it required.

Lesson learned the switch is gone.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

gordonbw

Sounds like an amazing time -- really wish I had gone.

@Rob -- the Aventura gets one more try at the next event.  It has a new ESC and receiver -- both wrapped in plastic.  Also one washer's worth of upthrust has been added to the motor.  I sincerely hope I won't be asking you for the crashboat again...

piker

Sounds great, Gordon!

Here's are a couple of pictures I took of the pond, taken at the end of the day, last Saturday.  This is what you missed if you left early   ;D

And also a nice shot of Glenn's Beaver flying by: