Matney Models "Super Vixen"

Started by sihinch, September 06, 2013, 08:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

I'm not sure if I'm uber competitive, obsessed with technology & the quest for optimal performance, or just love experimentation (maybe all 3??? :D ) but I spent a significant amount of time a few months ago looking for a Nooner alternative that would meet our racing rules.

I came across the Vixen from Matney Models.  Now the original kit only had a WS of 33" and a wing area of 132sq.in, but the website advertised custom foam core wings.  So I contacted Kevin Matney and asked if he could do a "Super Vixen" with a 180sq.in wing area and 10% airfoil.  He told me that he had a design that was never released of a larger Vixen that he'd done for F5D, and that this would meet my requirements.......so I agreed a price and ordered one.

http://www.matneymodels.com/vixen.html

It arrived this week - see the pics.  It is a 44" WS, so bigger than a Nooner, but a smaller chord (about 5.25" max) and it has a V tail. I'm not sure it will be competitive, with it being larger and I guess more draggy, but we'll have some fun testing it!  ;)

So far I have joined the wings and just done a test fit (to see what it would look like and to allow me to make a few zoom zoom noises!)  I've never set-up a V-tail before, and I need to build the tail from a plan (new ground for me.)

Can anyone offer advice on the best way to get both control surfaces moving on the tail with only 1 control rod?  How should I do the control horns.  Any help or advice will be much appreciated. ???

Oh, and be careful if you google "Super Vixen" - you may get some odd pictures (like the ones Ed sent me!  ;D) I have named the plane Super Vixen, so far, but may come up with another......

bfeist

sihinch

I was assured it's 10% airfoil.....

If it's not and I cant race with it, I think it looks like fun anyway!  ;D

battlestu

good find and i bet it will a hoot.... been looking a replacement nooner as well but haven't had much luck (just got to keep looking)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

After the first (failed) attempt at doing the V tail with an internal "torque rod" set-up, I finally got round to building a new tail.

This one has slightly larger elevators/rudder fins, and I wimped out and did external control horns.  I hope its not too draggy. ???

And of course with 2 control rods, I could do 2 servos.  I was a little worried about the extra weight, but decided another 8g wasn't going to hurt too much!  ;)

Anyway, here are some pictures.  Oh, and it's the first covering I've done since I was about 17!!!

thehaze

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Ededge2002

I'm very interested in the performance differences this makes vs the Nooner. It looks great.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

Well, not everything is going to plan!

Due to the 2 carbon wing spars and thin wings, D47 servos will not fit in the wing for the ailerons!

So last night I put the torque rod in and epoxied it in place. Tonight I'm trying to take it out because I've decided I used too flimsy gauge wire and I have too much flex for a high performance racer!

bfeist

Sorry to hear that. I hate it when I have to undo something I just did like that.

sihinch

Bringing the wing tomorrow to the pilots meeting, so you can all help me decide whether to use torque rods or servo covers!

sihinch

So I took the advice of our "Experts" and filled the old servo cut-out, and cut a new hole behind the carbon rods, to see if the servo would fit in the wing.....

It does!  :D

And even better, I don't need any additional fairings or aero devices.  So I will be going 2 aileron servos linked directly to the aileron.  No torque rods!  ;D

I covered the top surface of the wing in some more glass cloth, and filled the torque rod slots. Really enjoying working with balsa at the moment.  :o

Papa

Did you know that Balsa is classified as a
Hardwood"?

True.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

sihinch

Yeah!  Success.  :D

I got the servo in the wing last night.  It took 4 or 5 attempts to get the servo wire through the hole I put in the wing, but I made it.  Then I soldered the new servo wire on, and hey presto! One aileron servo in place.  :)

I then went on to cut the space for the 2nd aileron servo, in the other wing, and tonight I plan to run the wire and do the soldering.

Then I can cover it, put the aileron horns and control rods on and then get to my next challenge - wing securing.

The wing was designed to be taped on!  I fancy doing something rather more sturdy & hopefully reliable, like a pin and bolt as per the Nooner.  Just got to work out where to put the reinforcements and supports etc. :-\

sihinch

OK, so I guess a lot has changed since I last posted!   :)

One generous club member and fellow racer offered to give me a lesson in covering, and loaned me a hair-dryer like contraption.  And another member offered advice about wing fixing:

Q. "How was it meant to be attached?"
A. "Tape."
"So just use tape then!"

Thanks for that, so obvious!

Anyway, here is the finished model, ready for flight.  I changed the motor, to get a better CG balance without adding weight anywhere.  I still need to measure the wing to see if it's legal, but it has a legal power system (Kontronic 2800kV motor and CC18A esc.)

Fancy a race anyone?

Ededge2002

That looks terrific Simon. I'm very impressed and wanted to note that your building skills have come so far.  This was s difficult project and its looking great.

As for a race...  any time!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?