Richard Weernink

Started by flying IT, October 22, 2013, 09:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flying IT

hi;

I have meaning to do this for  awhile now.

I was born and raised just north of London Ont Canada. (Exeter -  St. Marys area).  I have been interested in flying as far back as I can remember and I mean that literally.  The earliest memory i have is me sitting in front of my parents, on a DC-8, going to Netherlands.

I started building plastic kits and hanging them from my ceiling.  I also had an interest in electronics so my parents bought me the radio shack 75 in 1 electronics kit and a aircraft radio kit.  About the age of 10 I went and seen my first airshow at London, and not much later had my first ride in a full scale champ, that was owned by a family friend. I was given a Cox line control super chipmunk which I never did get to fly. I had real issues with that little .049 glow plug engine.

In high school, I started building balsa airplanes.  Two were kits and one was a pure scratch build from plans.  I only finished one and that was a static model.  The other two are for R/C.  I also bought a radio kit with a receiver and servos.  I was planning to use this equipment in the above mentioned scratch build but got side tracked.   What side tracked me you may ask , is that I also started flying full scale.  I learned to fly a cessna 150, 152, 172 and a piper archer.

I work for a multi-national company called Emerson Electric, in the computer department.

I started back into RC by getting a airhog helicopter.  I went through 2 of them.  Last year Christmas, I received the flyzone super cub RTF.  During the winter, I started looking around where I could learn to fly this thing, since I live in Stouffville I knew of the field and drove in one day to ask a few questions. (thanks Simon and Greg).  From this visit I am now a member and have had lots of fun.

My plans are to see if I can get the two balsa models into the air.

bfeist

Welcome Richard.
Sounds like you have a familiar early passion for aviation that many TEMAC members share.

A couple of thoughts:
Given that we're winding down on the flying season, have you considered buying an RC simulator so you can practice over the winter? Actually, rereading your post it doesn't say that you haven't got your RC wings yet. Have you?

Something else you may be interested in is the group scratch building sessions that Jack posted in a recent newsletter. It might be a great way to fill in a few of the gaps that probably hampered your earlier experiences.

Ben

flying IT

i am allowed to fly  by myself at the field.  I also failed to mention that I do also have a mini vapor so i am doing some indoor flying when i can get to our warehouse.  I have also put in order  for a flight proficiency pack.  Which give me a new 6i Radio, a 6 channel receiver, a 4 channel receiver and a simulator ;D

I just picked up a Trex 100x helicopter knock off as well.