Electric Model Club

Started by the giant, September 07, 2003, 06:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Thank you.

TEMAC now has 16 members in good standing (that means fully paid up!). That's pretty good for a club that's about one month old and won't be flying for another 6 months or so.

Please note... I will be at the Dec. 3, 2003 EMFSO Winter workshop accepting memberships and handing out membership cards. It's $80, and includes next year's EMFSO membership as well. Please show your support.

During the few weeks, this Forum/Topic has become the most popular (most read) in the history of the EMFSO website. This is just an indication of the interest and excitement that this project is generating!

Michael
Michael

bald warthog

We might be getting that "early spring" that Andre suggested we pray for. I haven't seen much snow this winter in either Etobicoke or Aurora, so the TEMAC field is likely just as bare.With luck we can prepare early,plant early,and watch the grass grow (early).

See you all on the 7th at the next Winter Workshop ??!!! Looking forward to it

Rod Clark C.E.T.
MAAC 69870
EMFSO 801
TEMAC 47

Michael

Update: Jan. 6, 2004

There are now 21 fully paid-up members of TEMAC! That's not bad considering it's winter and we're still months away from flying. As it gets closer to flying weather, many others will join.

André and I have been in contact with various individuals with whom we are discussing preparing the field for our use. We are trying to come to a reasonable compromise between cost, timing and field ground quality. As soon as spring weather approaches, we will "spring" into action.

I've been in contact with the lawyer who is incorporating our club; he has confirmed that the TEMAC name is legally and officially ours!

Michael
Michael

Michael

24 members now.

As soon as the weather warms up a bit, I'll meet the person we lease the land from, and start the clean-up. I'll discuss with him the preparation and maintenance of the property, and also with the person who runs the nearby helicopter club; he said he would cut our grass at a "good" deal.

Signs will go up by the end of march (including a permanent Frequency board, and by early April fences according to MAAC rules.

As soon as possible we will give out "wings" to pilots, and help those who need to "earn" them for the first time. These "Wings Certificates" will indicate that the pilot can safely fly their indicated model(s) at TEMAC. (This will not allow pilots to fly giant scale models at other clubs, for example).

Frequency use will be open to any MAAC legal frequency, including "toy" airplanes. Any problems or concerns will be dealt with if there is a need; Remember - the point is to have as much relaxed fun as possible - within MAAC rules. We don't need difficult probelems if they are not really an issue.

Please note: This club is not open to all EMFSO members; only to TEMAC paid members. EMFSO members, and other pilots, are welcome to come try out our field as a guest of a TEMAC member once. The preparation and maintenance of the club/field is expensive, and any and all flyers should bear at least the membership cost.

Michael
Michael

the giant

Hey There!
I have recently been acquiring MAAC information about the Wings program.  Obvious to me is our need for flexibility in the area of Hand Launch aircraft.  MAAC requires that a take-off (ROG) be accomplished to obtain one's wings.  The instructors will be meeting together before the AGM where i intend to report further.
the giant.

Michael

March 12 update.

The 14th ave field is closed. So what's happening now?

I spoke with the TEMAC land owner today. I told him we need proper (dry) access to the field, and the field has to be cleared and flattened. I told hime I would like to do this as soon as possible. He indicated that the field is extremely wet from mid-March to May 1. I asked about putting down gravel on the driveway. He said the right thing to do was to make a proper gravel road. He also said his nephew has the equipment to do this. Since this is to be a 1-time expense, I've asked him to look into the expense. He also suggested a cheaper alternative; making a roadway and parking area before the trees, and we could just walk out the rest of the way on wet days. Dry days would be no problem to drive further in.

He is also looking into preparing the actual field for us.

We will be following up next week, and I will talk to members and the ecexutive to decide how to proceed.

I am now getting ready to prepare WINGS certificates, proper rules, fences and signs. I already purchased MAAC wing pins. I think we will have to have a rule insisting that members either wear these pins (once distributed) or at least have their TEMAC membership cards with them.

I don't want to nag, but to prepare this club and field properly, it cost $$$. If you want to fly, become a member.

Email me if you need an application form.
[email protected]

Michael
Michael

Michael

I received a telephone call today from TEMAC's lawyer. TEMAC is now incorporated as a non-profit organization; we are a now legal entity.

Members and the executive are now further protected than ever for liabilility should a problem ever occur, and (when I receive actual papers in the mail) I will start preparing a presentaion for a grant.

Michael
Michael

Michael

Good news...

I spoke to the land owner today. He feels that the field may be dry enough and ready to have work done on it by mid-April. As well, he may have someone who can take off some soil from the drive-way, and put down some "filler" and then crushed stone, from a source that he says is really cheap. He said we can smooth out the field ourselves within a few weeks, or he'll make some arrangements for us.

I know that as the weather is improving people (ex 14th'ers) will be wanting to go fly. I am working on TEMAC literally everyday, and it will soon be a reality.

I was there yesterday. It was too wet to even walk there.

Michael
Michael

DemonFrog

Is there any consideration to people who want to fly electric gliders? do you have a hi start or winch? would i need my wings to fly my own foamie glider?

When darkness falls, i'll be sleeping
When darkness falls, i'll be sleeping

Michael

There are no provisions for glider flyers.

PLEASE NOTE ...

Weather permitting, some flight and field testing is due. I will be at the field at 3 oclock Sat afternoon (May 8, 2004). Any TEMAC member is welcome to come along.

Just in case, please bring boots in case the ground is wet. If you want to bring a plane, be aware that delicate models and landing gear is not suitable at this time.

If it's raining or very windy, I won't be there.

Michael
Michael

Michael

Updates, photos and flying at TEMAC; on the TEMAC website.

Click here and press WHAT'S HAPPENING
http://www.emfso.org/temac/

or

Press here to go directly to the updates:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/m.rogozinsky/temac-news.htm

Michael
Michael

piker

Looks like fun.  The weather was MUCH nicer today (Sunday), than yesterday.

I hope to get to TEMAC for some flying next weekend.  The rain has to stop eventually and give us some reliable flying weather.

Robert