Skywriter 2014 Build Class

Started by sihinch, March 06, 2014, 08:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

Tonight is our last Build Night of 2014 so try and make it out.

We will start on the fuselage.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Papa

The following comes under the heading "Do as I say not as I do".

Last Monday night watching Simon fuss and fiddle with Windex and Spittle to bend 1/8" balsa sheet over the top of the fuselage I remembered another way. If you score the inside surface with closely spaced grooves the wood bends quite easily. I used a straight edge and a 4" nail rounded at the tip (First Picture).

I glued the flat portion first and let it dry. (Second Photo). Then I glued it around the curve.

Now comes the stupid part. Stupid because I know what I'm about to do is incorrect in two ways but having got away with it before my arrogance knew no bounds. I was in a hurry so I took it to my grinding disc to do a coarse removal of waste before a fine sanding. The glue was not completely cured and I was using both the up coming side of the disc and the down going side of the disc. Naturally the glue caught and jerked the hatch out of my grip and sanded a corner off. (Third Photo)

I thought I'd turn my dumb act into a learning moment so I glued a chunk of scrap balsa in place and when the glue was fully dry I sanded it to shape. (Fourth and Fifth Photos). When covered in film only I will know.

The moral is don't go near a sanding machine until the glue is fully hard and never use the upward side of the disc.

Enjoy my discomfort.

LOL

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

piker

Better your hatch than your thumb!

Nice fix.

And nice hatch.

Wingnutz

Score two thumbs up for Jack's repair. Nice!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

sihinch

Hey class mates - if anyone in the class is not using the front engine fairing pieces can I have them please? To make my nose longer!

Thanks!

piker

I'm looking forward to the Skywritter build class tonight!  I think Monday is my new favourite day of the week!    ;D

piker

Just a small group of builders last night, but we had fun as always. 

Bill's Skywritter is coming along nicely and starting to look more complete with the top and bottom wings mounted, and the modified fuselage styling that looks fantastic.   Simon has done a wonderful job on the modification and sheeting of this forward fuselage and now his fuselage is mostly finished.  Simon was working on mounting the lower wing last night.  My Skywritter is moving VERY slowly forward and just needs a couple of evenings to bring it up to the level of the others (I think), but I'm torn between working on that and working on my other winter project.  For now, the Skywritter waits.

There was talk of going through sanding techniques during our next class (in two weeks), so we'll have to make sure our models are pretty much finished the building process by then.  After that, the covering will begin.   ;D

sihinch

Very happy that I got my bottom wing mounted last night.  A ply plate worked very well and the seat is good.  I will post photo later.

Now I need to check it's alignment vs. fuselage and top wing.  I hope it all lines up!  ???

Then just need to add vertical and horizontal stab, finish the nose, hook up the surfaces and cover!  Sounds simple, right!  8)

piker

First picture... Bill creating

Second... Jack Judging

Third... Simon reworking

Fourth... artsy shot

Fifth... ???

piker

Hey Bill!  I have your Mitre Box.  I'll bring it to the Dome on Sunday.  I hope you can wait until then    :o

Wingnutz

Thanks Rob...BTW, not sure if your last photo is "artsy" or not...a finger might not do as good a job but it'd be less painful!...laughed so hard, I couldn't hit the keys on my tablet!
Simon, I'm glad your bottom's in place! It'd never do for it to fall off!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Michael

Wow! I didn't know Bill was building a bigger Skywriter than all of us!

Michael

piker

Well he built a giant Norseman, so it makes sense.

Frank v B

Sorry I missed the class.  My brother from Calgary and his wife were in town and staying at our place for 4 days on their way to chase the sun.

I have been working on my Skywriter and the fuse is finished.  I elected to make the nose longer by an inch and moved the motor forward about 1.5 inches.  The motor mount is now flush with the ply nose former.  The other change is that the shape of the nose was changed to look a little sleeker by sweeping the left and right side backward 45 degrees (when looking from the top).  It gives it a more refined look versus the flat nose on the plan.  The round air duct under the engine hole was elongated.

Will bring it to the next build session.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

piker

I didn't know where else to hang my head in shame, so I chose this thread.

Unfortunately, I will not have my Skywritter ready for the group test flight day tomorrow.  In fact, I can't even attend, and cheer on those who accomplished the wonderful builds.  I'm sad that I'm not ready and I'm sad that I will miss a great event.

My excuse is that we've recently bought a house and the preparation for the purchase, as well as the planning since, has used up my limited build time that I would normally squeeze in after I get home late in the evenings.  Anyway, excuses...excuses   :)

Good luck to everyone who will test fly their Skywritters!  Please take lots of pictures for us!