Simon's Skywriter Build Blog

Started by sihinch, March 12, 2014, 05:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Oh it's perfectly flat. And the overall outline is all square. It's just that when the LE and main spar line up on the plan, the TE is about 2 or 3mm short. But I did what Frank said and built it to my ribs.

Thanks for the reassurances.

Now to get that mirror version of the plan from Staples (thanks for the tip!)

sihinch

Shhhhh

sihinch

I hate wing sheeting!

Especially when there are protruding aluminium wing brace mounts and holes for mounting plates!

#notfun

Papa

Cut the slots in the sheet first and then fit the sheet and trim to fit.

Or @sihinch .

Fit the sheet up to the aluminum strut fixture and add the remainder on the other side.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

sihinch

Oh I've done it. Just not enjoyed it.

sihinch

I was struggling a bit with my love for the finished article. Michael's looks fabulous and I'd already decided that I wanted to do an RAF themed colour scheme. But I still didn't love the plane, especially the nose.

So I was searching google images for some inspiration and had a eureka moment. All of sudden my motivation is supercharged and I can't wait to complete it.

It won't be scale but it will be a "lookalike." And I'll love it......

Welcome to Simon's Hawker Fury build thread!

The nose will need a bit of work and I may need to modify the undercarriage a little vs the plans, but I think it's doable!

Michael

I like that! That would really look good!

Michael

Papa

It's doable and will look different but it will work. It's a Sport Scale anyway.

Don't touch the fuselage yet. Make photo copies of the nose part of the plan and start pencil sketches of the modifications needed to get a Hawker nose. Make lots of sketches.

jack.
A motto to live by:

sihinch

I'm loving this building! Maybe I'm a convert!?

I love seeing it come together and being able to correct mistakes or strengthen areas to suit your own tastes. Plus you can build any subject!

I didn't love the sheeting process but that was complicated by the fact its a biplane with strut fixings.

But I am having so much fun with this....

Wingnutz

Good call on the nose job Simon! Although Michael's model is impressive,  I don't like the nose on the blog model.
Bet yours will be Fast and "Fury"us... ::)
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

sihinch

Robert was round at our house tonight and was kind enough to look over my Skywriter progress. He was so kind that he pointed out my latest mistake!

The fuselage sides in the kit are about 2" too short! Because I tend to build using the blog, making reference to the plan, I hadn't noticed this!

Anyway, thanks to the beauty of building with balsa (and with some friendly advice from Robert) I was able to correct my mistake.

I added some ply to the inside of the fuse, to act as support for the outer extension I would need to add. And then I rebuilt the area I had cut away for the horizontal stab, adding inner 1/4 square for former alignment and outer stringer extension.

So it's all good now. Just need to work out what to do with the new 2" I'll be adding.

To all fellow class mates - extend your fuse sides before you start building the fuselage!

Papa

Issues:

• The fuselage sides in the kit needs to be extended. I'm working on a drawing the will provide you with a work around.

• Simon, the problem with the fuselage was identified in the blog on April 3. I believe it was pointed out on the plan at the next meeting.Jack.
A motto to live by:

sihinch

April 3rd to Nov 13th is a long time in my world, Jack!  That's plenty of opportunity for me to forget!  ;)

sihinch

Success last night in joining the fuse halves together! Now I really feel on the way to having a flying model.

Thanks Jack for the donation of parts. Thanks Frank for the donation of building supplies. Thanks both for your "Grand-Fatherly" advice!

I think I've worked out how I may do the Fury nose. I printed the 3 view off today and rather than taper the most forward section of the nose (that may require new formers) I think I may increase the height of the rear section of the nose, before the cockpit. I could add some balsa extensions to the top of formers f3 and f3a and make the battery bay taller.  That will give the Impression of a more pointy nose!  Food for thought!

Papa

You'll need a pilot who "rides tall in the saddle" to see over the bump.

LOL

Jack.
A motto to live by: