Simon's Skywriter Build Blog

Started by sihinch, March 12, 2014, 05:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

Looks good and will look much better when it's covered.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Wingnutz

Looks fast and "furious" and your workbench looks better than mine...Nice work!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

sihinch

Well, it's not perfect (some would probably say it's not even good) but it's mine and I built it.......

Papa

I think its fabulous. Such a different look with a small amount of alteration. Great achievement!

Jack.
A motto to live by:

wollins

Quote from: sihinch on April 11, 2015, 08:57:28 AM
Well, it's not perfect (some would probably say it's not even good) but it's mine and I built it.......

You gotta be kidding right? Looks amazing! Word is that silver covering is the toughest to apply ... did you find that to be the case?

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

sihinch

Well, it's only the second fuse I've covered (I've done 4 wings before this) so I'm no expert but I'd say its reputation is worse than reality. It doesn't shrink as much as the other colors I've used before and it does show every imperfection but it wasn't a big problem. I did struggle around the nose taper and have 2 creases.

But as Michael says "you'll not see them at 50mph and 50ft!" That's why I say it's not perfect but for my second ever fuse covering I'm happy. It won't win any scale awards but it's a model I now love very much!

piker

That looks fabulous, Simon!  Wow!  Great work!

Frank v B

Simon,

After your maiden flight just tell people the two creases were due to a subsonic high speed dive. 8)

Just finished my Skywriter today.  Will try to post a picture (tougher than building the plane as Jack would say)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

sihinch

Last class tonight! Now I have to finish on my own.....

Thanks to Robert, Frank & Jack for the covering help.

Still to do:
Ailerons for top wing
Connect ailerons
Make interplane struts
Make axle for main wheels
Fit tail wheel
Balance

Should be ready for May 9th.

Michael

Michael

piker

It sure is!  I can't wait to see it flying!

wollins

Damn!  Those classes must be good!  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

sihinch

Just a few little things to do now.  Should be good for next weekend's maiden....... :)

sihinch

Please can someone describe the correct way to balance a biplane? For example right side up or upside down? Top wing or bottom wing? Etc.

Thanks

Papa

Always on the upper wing.
What I have done is to take a piece of heavy thread, stretch it straight and soak it with thin CA and kicker.
I cut this into 1/2" lengths and glue them on the CG. If there is a range I will use two or more.
When you turn the plane right way up you can feel the threads with your finger tips.
No one will notice them on the model.
I have also used half round tooth picks instead of thread.

Jack.
A motto to live by: