Simon's Skywriter Build Blog

Started by sihinch, March 12, 2014, 05:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

I've been playing with the plans and some scissors today.......

I made f2 just 5mm narrower each side, and f1 about 8mm narrower each side.  And also made f1 slightly shorter/not as high, so it will taper more under the fuse......

Here it is on the plan.

piker

Nice!  You're an airplane designer now!

good idea!

Papa

Are you sure @sihinch you have @piker  reduced it enough?

It may not look hawker enough.
More like a slightly modified Skywriter.

Do you want to start reducing further back so you have a more tapered look?

Jack
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

sihinch

I'll check tonight how much the sides can take being pulled in. I'm limited by f3 for where the taper can start.

sihinch

Nope, it won't take any more taper. Sides are too stiff.

Time to cut some new formers!

Papa

If you saw through the 1/4" longerons about 3/16" deep every 1/2" then the sides will bend more easily and if that is not enough you can come back and saw every 1/4". If you do that you can soak the cuts with glue and it will be very strong. @sihinch

jack.
A motto to live by:

sihinch

Well I did it. Thanks to Jack, who cut my smaller F1 and F2.

Some of it has worked great, some not so good.  The biggest issue is that when I was pulling the sides in, one side split. The result of which is that one side has pulled in more than the other. So the taper is not quite symmetrical.

I tried to fix it with a brace, which did improve things, but it's not 100%. Oh well!

I have increased the height of the cockpit too, which should look good. But it means I've got a compound curve to sort out (I think.)

piker

Your mods are looking great!  It's a little catastrophic when the side breaks like that (it happens to us all) as it's now very difficult to get them bending the same.... as you know.  Good recovery.  It'll work out fine.

sihinch

This is the motor I'm thinking of using. 

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Emax-BL2820-07-Outrunner-Brushless-Motor-F-291.htm

It's not as long as the Turnigy D3542 790kV motor that I origonally bought for the Skywriter/Fury, which may help now that I moved the firewall forward.

I have it left over from an old foamy conversion, and was very happy with it on 4S.  Looks like a 10x5 prop might be the best option on 4S, although I think that maybe a little small in diameter for the model.  If that is the case, I'll change to a 12x6 on 3S.

sihinch

It's taking shape!  :)

Here is my first ever balsa sheeted compound curve!

Papa

A motto to live by:

piker

Michael

That may actually look nicer than mine!

Isn't there a rule against that, or something ????
Michael

sihinch

Very pleased with today's progress! Managed to get the top wing mounted and the undercarriage done so I can plank the nose tomorrow, in class.

And I'd say that's pretty level, wouldn't you? Although I think there is a slight negative incidence. Nothing some shims can't sort.

sihinch

It's been quite a while since I posted but I have made lots of progress. Both wings are/can be mounted now, the front hatch for battery is done and the nose is finished.

I'm really happy with the result and will be a fabulous Hawker Fury lookalike, in my opinion.

No comments on the state of my workshop - we are in the middle of a basement reno. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!