Michael's Skywriter build thread

Started by Michael, March 14, 2014, 08:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Yes!  Looking very good!

I was just speaking with Michael and told him to hold off covering until later, so he can bring the framed model to the next meeting.  We'll see if he can resist   ;D

Wingnutz

Michael,
Do you ever slow down? Impressive progress!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Michael

Can't control myself; ready for covering!  :o

Had some fun and did the dash/control panel.

Michael

piker

;D

It's a good thing you have those high tech orientation instruments.

Papa

He needs them, he's growing more forgetful as he ages.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

sihinch

I think he has too much time on his hands!  ;)

Michael

I brought my 'almost finished' Skywriter to the Skills Challenge event today, and a few people asked me how I modified the forward fuselage section to make it longer.

1. I glued the firewall right up (forward) against the front former which was to be the base where the laminated cowl was to be glued. See photo 10. The plan position for the firewall is where the X-axto knife is sitting on the fuselage, in that photo.

2. I glued additional 1/4" pieces of balsa on the front of the fuselage sides, the length taking into consideration the length of the motor I'm using and the laminated balsa cowl. This will vary depending on the motor you choose to use. See photo/diagram 10a. I glued the cowl in place after making sure the motor and motor mount fit.

3. I used the bottom fuselage 1/4" sheet with the air cooling vents as per the plans, but added a bit more 1/4" balsa at the front to fit the longer nose to the cowl. I sheeted the fuselage as per the plans, but with longer pieces of balsa to fit. Everything was later sanded to look proportional.

Feel free to ask questions.

Michael

Michael

More progress.

The model has been covered in white Monokote (heat-shrinkable and heat-activated adhesive plastic covering); decorations and decals will follow.

Rudder and elevator servos and linkages installed. There are supports for the flexible pushrods at every former.

Simple tail wheel and linkages at the tail. I used a commercial tail wheel mount with a set screw/collar to hold the wire lower than the rudder, and an elastic as a shock absorber to the rudder, for steering control.

Black insulation from old coaxial wire is used as combing around the cockpit. I cut out an approx. 1/8" strip from the insulation to make the fit easy.
Michael

sihinch

Question about the motor firewall....

Is it strong enough how it fastens to the sides of the fuse? Just some sheet and 2 horizontal rods?

Michael

It's also glued to the back of the circular plywood piece which is also glued to the sheet sides and 2 longerons.

The upper and lower sheeting also add strength.

It seems strong enough to me.

Michael

Michael

Aileron linkages.

I used "1/2A" control horns securely glued into/onto the ailerons, connected by Z-bend/threaded rod/clevises.

Michael

Michael

Decals left over from other projects.

Pilot figure mostly repainted with matte acrylic paint.

Michael

Michael

Still to do:

- windshield

- balance (needs nose weight even with battery).

- measure power draw

- adjust dual rates and exponential.

Michael

piker

That looks GREAT, Michael!, oh and I like the aileron linkage idea.  Very solid.

Although I've given you grief for building ahead of the class,  ;D   It IS inspirational to see one of the Sky Writers finished and ready for flight.  That'll help the rest of us keep motivated to finish for the spring.

Hmmmm.... All I've done is framed up the tail feathers.... Time to get back at it!  The next build class is on Monday   :o

sihinch

That looks AWESOME! Congratulations. Definitely motivation for us class mates.

And I may copy the aileron idea!