Ben's Skywriter Build

Started by bfeist, March 19, 2014, 08:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfeist

Finally started tonight. Started with the rudder.
After getting some details clear on the plans (thanks jack) the build went relatively smoothly. It really feels like it's been a long time since I've done this. I guess nooner building doesn't count.

Rudder weighs in at 12g after rough sanding.

sihinch

It's great seeing everyone's build coming together. I love that they're all slightly different.

Michael

Come together, right now, over me!  ;D
Michael

bfeist

More progress this morning with some help from my little helper.

Papa

Looks great, so does the wood work!

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

bfeist

Thanks Jack,
Plugged away a little more.

I'm thinking about the sheeting problem. Why are we sheeting the tail feathers to begin with? My 40 size Spitfire, my 25 size Supercub, and almost every plane I've owned has an open frame tail. My aerobatic 70 size Revolver is fully sheeted, but it takes a serious beating in the air. I don't think balsa sheeting would add much strength, but would provide a fiberglass surface. If I plan on using monokote, do I need to even bother?

sihinch

I think it added some torsional rigidity to mine.

Papa

I think the sheeting is more aesthetics than anything else. Sure it adds strength but that is as close to a solid stabilizer you can get.
I think that either way you go will work perfectly.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Frank v B

My opinion: this plane is over-built!!

Build it to fly (light) not to survive a crash (heavy)

Frank (Captain Crunch!)
"Never trade luck for skill"

bfeist

Extended the plans onto paper with a pencil and ruler. Didn't take long at all, and looks to be more accurate than my scan/flip/print technique that resulted in being a few mm off on everything.

I'm planning on building the wing all at once, then cutting it in the center. Bad idea? Good idea?

Papa

Worked for me so I like it. Just remember you can only build the outer sections. Then cut and add the dihedral brace. Then add the rest of the ribs etc.

jack.
A motto to live by:

Michael

I got a full-size mirror-image photocopy at Staples, for $5.03.

Michael

bfeist

Built the wing one half at a time. Still making progress, have to get the CA smell out of my nose for a while before I continue. I think Frank's wife might be on to something. Rest of the build might just be epoxy.

Note the carefully omitted servo lead holes on the left side. Oops.

Papa

Your looking good Ben. Consider the LePages 'Express' wood glue from HD and others. It sets almost as quick as Epoxy but without the mess.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

bfeist

Thanks Jack. You might of mentioned it, but is the Express glue water soluble? I want to leave my float plane options open.