Robert's Skywriter Build

Started by piker, March 25, 2014, 11:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Wow! Makes mine look like a tank!

Are you sure that motors far enough forward?

Papa

I'm planning to use an E-Flite Power 25 and need to put the fire wall about 3/4" or 7/8" back from the front of the fuselage sides.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

piker

I still need to add the rear side stringers to bring a little more "bulk" to the aft end of the fuselage, and that stringer detail that's so nice.  I decided to add the stringers after bringing the tail ends together to help the sides form easier (Ben's great suggestion from the last build class)

I've mounted the motor in the exact location as shown on the plans, with angle compensation for the 2 degrees right and down thrust.  The E-flite 25 fits perfectly in that position with the prop hub location being where it needs to be.

I also narrowed the nose a little (about 1/4") to break up the straight line look of the front of the fuselage.  I plan to also bring the underside of the nose up a bit and add a gentle curve to the underside between the landing gear and nose.  Just some subtle changes that I hope improves the look a little.  Who knowns?  Maybe it'll look worse.   ;D

sihinch

Quote from: piker on November 23, 2014, 10:22:56 AM
I also narrowed the nose a little (about 1/4") to break up the straight line look of the front of the fuselage.  I plan to also bring the underside of the nose up a bit and add a gentle curve to the underside between the landing gear and nose.  Just some subtle changes that I hope improves the look a little.  Who knowns?  Maybe it'll look worse.   ;D

Hey, that's what I did, copycat!

piker

Ya, but I was planning to do that since last year  ;D

piker

After last weeks Skywritter build class I did a little more work when I got home on the fuselage.  I added the turtle deck formers and the stringers.  I figured I'd add a picture to my build thread for kicks.

Since I'm building from scratch, I didn't bother to notch the formers to accept the stringers.  instead they just sit on top.  This means my stringers are only 1/8" square.  Also since I had the freedom to do whatever the heck I wanted, I reduced the number of stringers to allow for a more uniform spacing with the stringers on the side.  And I'm thinking that with a little wider spacing the stringers will show through the covering a bit more.

There ya go.  More than you ever wanted to know about my stringers   ;D

sihinch

Hmmmm I wonder if Robert would notice if I swapped his fuse for mine???

Wingnutz

Some of us build model airplanes, others build elegance...nice!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

I'm plugging away at the Skywritter build now that the pressure is on to start covering in two weeks.

After the class last night, I got home and did a little sheeting around the cockpit area.  I think it looks O.K. and will now work on the sheeting under the nose and then the front of the nose to create the cowl look I'm hoping for.

I've adjusted the lines of the nose a little, in a effort to reduce the parallel lines look of the fuselage, but my adjustments are minor compared to the redesigns that Bill and Simon have done.  It was so nice to see all the planes progressing nicely at the class last night.  It's going to be a great Skywritter Spring!

Wingnutz

Elegant as ever! I think we should all work hard for a "group" maiden or at least Skywriter fly-in or whatever...never really happened with the Norsemans (Norsemen?) Should be fun! :)
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!