Ben's Nooner repair (finished) new photos

Started by Frank v B, April 29, 2014, 10:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Photos of the repair to Ben's Nooner.

1) fuselage photo- each clamp on the fuse represents a break.  The clamps held small pieces of carbon veil over the break with a small piece of wax paper covering it and protecting the clamp. The green tape was to hold the nose round while the glue dried, clamps on the stab were to glue back the broken hinge points.

2) wing tip photo- crushed section cut out.  The wax paper holds the 5 minute epoxy in place while it hardens. 

3) center section photo- wing totally failed.  Photo of leading edge.  Not quite straight. ;D

4) new elevator with black carbon veil reinforcement for the control horn.  The old one was badly broken.  Glueing a new piece of balsa on the tip of the aileron.  Pinned in place.

5) wing tip fill-in balsa.

6) leading edge of the wing centre section before cutting the crushed section (underside is missing a large piece) it out.  Note: cut the patching material first, then draw it onto the wing (pencil) then cut it out.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

sihinch

Dear Frank

The racing spirit is strong and collaborative at TEMAC. Your repairs are truly awesome.

But please don't repair Ben's Nooner too straight or at least introduce 1 handling vice to help us beat him!

Thanks!
Simon

thehaze

Just  make sure it turns right better than it goes left...
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Ededge2002

When Ben built it I thought it looked so beautiful like a piece of furniture he did such a great job on it.  Now its going to look more like an antique piece of furniture!  Looks like its coming right along Frank.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

piker

Great work, Frank.

Thanks for helping to get my team leader back in the race.  Team Diamonds need his skills and contribution if our plan for world domination is to be fulfilled!

Michael

My compliments to Frank, for being such a great guy!  ;D
Michael

battlestu

Quote from: piker on April 30, 2014, 10:07:06 AM
Great work, Frank.

Thanks for helping to get my team leader back in the race.  Team Diamonds need his skills and contribution if our plan for world domination is to be fulfilled!
agreed thanks for helping Ben get back in the air... the team doesn't need another boat anchor (I've already taken that spot)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

bfeist

I really can't thank you enough Frank. With a little luck, now I won't miss the next race!

Frank v B

Ben's plane is finished awaiting the electronics (not my job! :D )
I suggested covering it with a Monokote but Ben wanted to leave the patches showing.  I tried to make the patches symmetrical so it didn't look like it was repaired by a blind drunk.  The wing tip fill-in repair was covered with clear fibreglass instead of black carbon veil.

Just in case you ask "why?"  Answer: I would rather beat my competitors in the air than on the ground.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

piker

sihinch

Looks a bit like the "Skywalker" edition! It's on it's way to the Dark side!

battlestu

you don't know the power of the dark side.... i see another win for team Diamonds  ;D
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"