EF-1 Racing---please read

Started by cpaine, May 12, 2014, 03:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Reading Cory's original post, his main concern was that TEMAC arranged a Piker race day on may 24th, at the last minute, and that it conflicts with a pre-arranged Ef1 day at Orangeville.  I agree, Cory, it's frustrating when we try to organize events for everyone to participate in and enjoy, just to have a conflict like this come up.  I've been there.

But I wanted to point out that the Piker race day on the 24th has been established and posted in our calendar, on the main page of TEMAC's site, since mid February.  It wasn't a recent addition.  If a race day at Orangeville was planned prior to that, I can only assume that Jack (the guy who plans our busy schedule of events) wasn't aware of it. 

Generally, Re. the discussion about racing, even though I have yet to get an EF1 racer, I do find the aircraft attractive and the idea of racing them sounds like a lot of fun.  However, as Simon says (ha... Simon Says...) there's always so much going on that it's hard to find time for extra activities... My main focus, for example, is float flying.  I'm constantly trying to recruit people for that   ;D

I would suggest that the core group of guys keep holding practice/race days, and keep talking about it, and more and more people will catch the bug and start showing up.  The guys who are flying the EF1 planes at TEMAC are having fun with them.

Polecat

Quote from: battlestu on May 14, 2014, 09:49:24 AM
Couldn't MAAC help with this? have a big race once (or twice) a year and have EF-1 pilots come together for all over our zone and race? Almost like what the AMA does in Muncie?

Greg
I would have to set the event all up and sanction it through MAAC. Also follow the MAAC safety guidelines.
We are far from anything like that, just need to have our fun practice/racing days.

Ken

Polecat

Quote from: piker on May 14, 2014, 11:48:54 AM
Reading Cory's original post, his main concern was that TEMAC arranged a Piker race day on may 24th, at the last minute, and that it conflicts with a pre-arranged Ef1 day at Orangeville.  I agree, Cory, it's frustrating when we try to organize events for everyone to participate in and enjoy, just to have a conflict like this come up.  I've been there.

But I wanted to point out that the Piker race day on the 24th has been established and posted in our calendar, on the main page of TEMAC's site, since mid February.  It wasn't a recent addition.  If a race day at Orangeville was planned prior to that, I can only assume that Jack (the guy who plans our busy schedule of events) wasn't aware of it. 

Generally, Re. the discussion about racing, even though I have yet to get an EF1 racer, I do find the aircraft attractive and the idea of racing them sounds like a lot of fun.  However, as Simon says (ha... Simon Says...) there's always so much going on that it's hard to find time for extra activities... My main focus, for example, is float flying.  I'm constantly trying to recruit people for that   ;D

I would suggest that the core group of guys keep holding practice/race days, and keep talking about it, and more and more people will catch the bug and start showing up.  The guys who are flying the EF1 planes at TEMAC are having fun with them.

Your point is right Rob, well said.

cpaine

All,
I am sorry.
Apparently, I am rubbing people the wrong way. I came off pushy....
It was not my intention to take over your field for racing, nor was it my intention to discourage anyone from EF-1.
My intentions were to race at other fields and get a circuit going.  Like it used to be for the UPRC.
Good luck with your Piker racing class in the future. It does sound like fun. Remember, someone did the work and went through frustrations to get that event as successful as it is today. Hope to still see you guys in the summer at orangeville. C'mon out and turn some laps.

Once again, my apologies for the headaches I have caused and the time that I have wasted.

Go fast, turn left!
Cheers
maac #26951

bfeist

Quote from: cpaine on May 14, 2014, 02:48:36 PM
All,
I am sorry.
Apparently, I am rubbing people the wrong way. I came off pushy....
It was not my intention to take over your field for racing, nor was it my intention to discourage anyone from EF-1.
My intentions were to race at other fields and get a circuit going.  Like it used to be for the UPRC.
Good luck with your Piker racing class in the future. It does sound like fun. Remember, someone did the work and went through frustrations to get that event as successful as it is today. Hope to still see you guys in the summer at orangeville. C'mon out and turn some laps.

Once again, my apologies for the headaches I have caused and the time that I have wasted.

Go fast, turn left!
Cheers

Not at all Cory! I think it's great for you to reach out to include TEMAC in a more broad racing opportunity. I promise that our club is more open and less grumpy than the responses you've encountered in this thread might indicate. Let's keep the conversation going and see how many people get the EF1 racing bug.

Ben

piker

Yes, Cory!  Like Ben said...

We do have a pretty good thing going with the racing at TEMAC, but that doesn't mean we can't join in for some EF1 racing.  Keep pushing and people will come out.

I dare say..."build it, and they will come..."  Ugh!   ;D

Ededge2002

@cpaine  and others. I just wanted to say its all good.  I enjoyed the discussion and sorry if I came across as abrasive.  I guess I was feeling "if it ain't broke don't fix it" over the change as the enthusiasm with the Nooner series is still in just its second season. 

The EF1 models are attractive and every time Ken has a few of them out at a show or sale I find myself at the tables with him. It can't be his personality and enthusiasm that attracts me there!  ;)
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

piker

Quote from: Ededge2002 on May 15, 2014, 07:47:21 AM
sorry if I came across as abrasive. 

I didn't notice any difference...  :P

cpaine

All Good fellas,
Hind site, the dwg. of your field wasn't a good idea ??? ... like an alien seeing earth and trying to take over! lol seriously not the case!! i did recheck the dimensions based on 10x10 canopy, and yes the coarse is WAY to big. sorry bout that....my bad  :-\

Anywho......
Ef-1's are good looking birds, thats for sure. they do fly beautiful. yes the pogo is a nightmare on the ground, but that was the only one. The lil Toni is not much different, and i have never had problem taking off... maybe the Vertical stab is to small on the POGO...

Every EF-1 i have flown, somebody to hold/push.... full throttle, I have 1/2 to 3/4 right rudder, and full up (approx.  3/16)... AND I always get a push! and they stay pretty straight and nice gentle climb to No.1.  with out a push, these planes have a lot of torque. I think that get most planes out of shape quickly. hope that helps some take offs.

As far as landing... well... all i can say is long, LONG approaches! the newer ones with dual aileron servos you can mix and flip a switch for some spoilerons.

Cheers.

maac #26951

battlestu

the shoestring does great... i just need to keep away from those poles ;)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

thehaze

I owned a Pogo. And it's reputation was well earned.

Flew great, but getting it off the ground was a handful. In fact the only damage I ever did to it was on take-off.

Now I own a Sundowner 36. It's a little bigger than the typical EF-1 racer but it is well built and it behaves very well on the ground. I'll second the comment on needing long approaches at landing. At TEMAC approaching from the south is the best, lots of space to settle into a nice shallow descent.

I think there's a place for both classes of racing, although Piker class racing at TEMAC has been easier because it's at the club level and EF-1 requires a bit of a drive.

Oh well, I'll just keep racing Greg at TEMAC and little by little I'm sure we can convert some folks to the dark side.  ;)
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

cpaine

Gents!

just checking in.
Ken and I are still considering some later dates, I go on holidays for a bout 3weeks in july but pretty much good to go.... My dad and i have been beating up on each other at my local field, and having fun. His Miss Dara is pretty fast!

Hope you guys are getting in some laps with the EF-1s... 10 smooth ones!

Cheers
maac #26951

battlestu

hey hey Cory... Mike and i are turning laps every chance we get. We have even raced with Glenn;  just waiting Simon to get back from Cookie U and we'll get four up in the air :)

I'm still working on getting 10 clean laps (Just couldn't catch Glenn and Mike the last time i was out)

Greg

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

cpaine

That's good to hear guys!
2 beautiful F1s there....are racing 2pole or 3pole style??
maac #26951

thehaze

2 pole. And having a blast doing it.

Now I just need Greg to get faster, as it's getting boring beating him every weekend  ;D
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.