EF-1 Racing---please read

Started by cpaine, May 12, 2014, 03:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thehaze

Actually, Ken. The planes are all very close in speed. So it's very much a pilots race. I'm just trying to get under Greg's skin.

Glenn, Simon and I did some laps today and lots of guys commented on how well behaved the models were in the air. There was some discussion on how big the 2 pole course should be. So I'm going to link the official rules here. And FYI the 2 pole course is 400 ft, which is about 1.5 times the length of the grass area at TEMAC, so it's completely doable with the space we have with pylon #2 being where the existing north pylon is set for nooner racing. Pylon #1 would be 150ft further south than the nooner pylon. 

http://www.nmpra.org/rules/EF1NewRules4_15_2014.pdf

Going fast and turning left....
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

piker

Isn't the cut grass at TEMAC 400ft long?  I seem to recall that the original length was 300ft, then we added that 100ft on the south end a few years back... Or am I losing my mind?

gmcnic

At last year's September skills challenge, there was a race that day and I had my measuring wheel out.
The distance between pilons was 327' 8" with the north pilon being well back (south) from the edge of the grass.
Probably by about 35~40'.

thehaze

I thought it was 400ft as well. But I was told today it was more like 250. So I went into Google earth and took out the measuring tool. Give or take, the field is about 350 feet long, so 50m more to the south and we have ourselves an EF-1 2 pylon course.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Papa

That 350' is the old field. You have to add a further 100' for the current size.

BTW I measure it at 365' + 100'

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Ededge2002

I measured the screen directly on my computer. The field is only about 8" long. You guys suck at measuring stick to flying planes.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

If only we knew someone who could fly a UAV over it and get some accurate data.....

piker

Quote from: thehaze on June 22, 2014, 10:40:27 PM
I thought it was 400ft as well. But I was told today it was more like 250.

I think the new fabric runway is 240-250ft

piker

Quote from: Polecat on June 23, 2014, 11:03:37 AM
For the racing I have been looking at a handicap system for the novice pilots, eg. you, Greg and myself, in a heat. You guys would have a one lap handicap [9], myself would be 10 laps, I would have to fly my butt off to lap and to win the heat.

I think they'll need a two laps head start.  I saw them race yesterday   ;D

sihinch

cpaine

Hey Guys... Based on 10' canopy, I drew your 2 pole race onto my existing dwg. 400' is the blue line. once again, I am rushing these dwgs. over my lunch, so feel free to QA and tell me I am way off! ;)

Side note... I flew my Lil Toni yesterday and on about the 3rd lap, I got a very violent Flutter from the elevator :-X !! I shut it down and had just enough control to get it back on the ground. at first i thought it was a lack of glue on my fiberglass hinges but after further investigation, i noticed the Yellow sullivan tube (that alot of these planes use) where it exited the fuselage, was kinked!! so basically under load, it gave away allowing the elevator to flutter... i was lucky a few hinges hung on, but half of it seperate from the Hstab.... I will be replacing with a solid push rod or 1/8 wire..... That plane has about 30 flights on it.... and far from new, So check your stuff and replace if necessary.

I got Lucky, the Lil Toni should of been a smokin hole in the ground.

Cheers
maac #26951

Papa

You missed the point that our field border is another 100' to the south. Added since Google flew over.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

sihinch

Hey, time to revisit this thread....

We've been practicing and having some informal races recently. Wonderful flying planes and great fun to fly.

Any update on the suggested July 12th practice in Orangeville? @Polecat

sihinch

Early Sept (before 8th) and early Oct (before Thanksgiving) are no good for me.

cpaine

Hey guys, great to see the F1's putting on laps.
Sorry i was on vacation, and i tend to shut the world off when i'm up north....
The American nationals are on this week (Pylon Racing) I believe EF-1 is going today/tomorrow.
If I can find some links and pics i will post them.
here is a video of our Canadian boys (pilot-Roy Andrasy, caller-Randy Smith) in a fly off for 4/5 at last years nats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSPDsjf3vE4
maac #26951