Tavares Pond Float Fly, Saturday July 12th!

Started by piker, July 09, 2014, 01:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Hey there float flyers!

It's time for another super fun and beautiful float flying get together at Tavares Pond!

We are SO lucky to have this site to fly at a couple of times per year, so let's make the best of these opportunities.  But why wouldn't we?  The forecast for Saturday is about as perfect as it can get with warm, sunny skies and very light winds.  Ken, Bill and myself were flying at the pond last weekend and were reminded of what a perfect site this is.

So, why don't you get your seaplanes ready and join us for a great late afternoon/evening of float flying on Saturday, July 12, from 3:00pm until dark.  And DO plan to stick around until the end, as that is when the atmosphere becomes so nice for flying from water.  The air cools a bit, the water turns glass smooth, and the air is still.  The planes fly so realistically and gracefully and the interactions with the water on take-offs and landing are what really makes flying from water an experience to cherish.  And then, as the light fades, we get to enjoy the colourful lights from some of the planes as they brighten the sky and reflect off the calm water.  If you haven't experience float flying from calm water, you're missing one of the best parts of the hobby.  Let's make it happen this Saturday!

Here's a link to the driveway into the pond.  I hope to see you there!

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.8650066,-79.5530309/43.8557564,-79.5990177/@43.8551975,-79.5813551,5189m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

piker

Hey guys,

Please check back here later tomorrow (Friday) to ensure we're still on for Tavares pond.  There's a SLIM chance we may have to relocate.  I'll post here.

Andy Hoffer

We're hoping to stop by Tavares Pond if it's a go.  Mita loves all the guys asking her why she married me!!  ;D

Andy

piker

O.K.!  I just got final confirmation!

I hope to see everyone at the Pond tomorrow.  It's gong to be a great day!

Robert

Michael

Michael

gmcnic

Michael

Michael

Kenvention2

I made it in time for 3 very nice flights and wow, what a nice place to fly. A big thank you to our host for the permission to fly and Robert for keeping it on the schedule and sending email alerts.

Cheers,

Ken

piker

Wow!

What a fantastic day of float flying at Tavares Pond yesterday!!!

I arrived about 5 minutes after 3:00 (had to grab a sandwich for lunch) and met Jack, Graham, and Michael there already getting set-up.  The sun was bright and hot, the wind was gentle, and the water inviting.  We got the trailer lid boat ready as more people arrived, and started flying.

And flying we did!  There were times when there were 4 or 5 planes in the air with constant, awesome, float flying activity all afternoon.  a few hours later, as some of the first to arrive had to leave for other commitments, other started to arrive.  Ben and Linden came out with Linden's training plane on floats, and they test flew that set-up, then Linden performed his first take-off and landing on floats.  Of course there was then no stopping them, so they continued to fly up a storm until fairly late in the evening when they figured they should get home for a late dinner.

Another highlight was to sees Bill Quantock's Macchi MC72 Schneider Trophy racer take to the air (you may remember this gorgeous model from the winter Pilots Meeting).  Although the first two or three flights have been a bit uncertain, with CG adjustment requirements and less than perfect take-offs and landings, the flight yesterday, at Tavares Pond, went very well.  The take-off was straight and smooth, the flight exciting and beautiful, and the landing almost perfect.  I flew my Macchi M-33 at the same time, and the images with them in the air together was a beautiful thing.  Now if we can just convince Glenn to bring his Supermarine S4 out, we'll finally have that Schneider Trophy show we've been working toward for years   :)

Of course there were MANY other wonderful planes flown throughout the day, and even one, very pretty and scale like boat.  Eric was finally able to get his scale freighter boat (I can't recall the name) in the water and performing well.  It looked SO nice cruising around in the pond.  I need to get my tug boat,  that Frank so generously offered for sale, going too, so I can join that fun.

Later in the evening, people continued to arrive, like Peter, a regular at Frenchman's Bay, and Ken Wilton, who we hasn't been out for a while.  They both enjoyed the fantastic location for float flying, as did the rest of us.

Michael was one of the last to leave and get's the award for the greatest float flying stamina, and probably time in the air.  As we were packing up, David (our host) ran up the engine on his beautiful (full size) Cessna 172.  That is an elegant piece of machinery, even though it isn't electric.  I wrapped up the evening with Ken and Peter as we said good-bye to David Tavares, and expressed our appreciation, once again, for hosting us (putting up with us) at his home.

At 9:30, we were chased away by the mosquitos, and drove home after a VERY satisfying day of float flying at one of the nicest places in the area.  We are so lucky to have this opportunity, and we certainly do make the most of it.

Thanks for coming out, guys, and making our float flying events so much fun for everyone!

eric

A million thanks go out to Robert for setting up another fabulous day of float flying.

I was in town for a doctor's appointment so managed to get out for a wonderful afternoon of flying and boating. I finally managed to maiden my 40 year old Sterling kit of the American Scout freighter I scored off the internet for $100. It was bought to play boats with my brother who recently purchased an RC trawler. After moving pounds of lead weights around, I finally got it balanced fore and aft on the water line and it behaved beautifully.

Boats are so VERY relaxing. Take your eyes off a boat for a bit and its moved along the surface of the water a few feet. Take your eyes off a plane for a bit and its floating on the surface of the water in a million pieces.

Attached is a picture of the boat sailing on Tavares Pond yesterday. What a gorgeous place to fly (and sail) and what gracious hosts Dave and his wife are.

Thanks again, Robert!

Eric

Michael

A few exciting and fun photos, by Andy.

Michael

Oscar

Thank you Rob for organizing the float fly event and the owner of the property to permit us to fly at his estate.

After my last crash on the Tidewater at the Frenchman bay, I took the Tidewater out again.  This time, I did it and landed successfully.

Here is the footage.
Note: Andy - Thank you for taking the photos.  They look so beautiful..  :D

http://youtu.be/SbFXCzIu8gU

piker

Hey Oscar!

I'm glad you were able to make it out yesterday, and enjoy some nice flying.  Great work!  And thanks for the video!

I was distracted and forgot about your Beaver.  Why didn't we try it again without the boat on the floats?  yesterday would have been a good time to get it worked out.  Oh well, we'll get it flying better next time, probably at Frenchman's Bay (July 26).

wollins

Quote from: piker on July 14, 2014, 11:06:02 AM
next time, probably at Frenchman's Bay (July 26).

If my 415 is not FULLY DONE and ready again by then please take me out back and shoot me!  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

piker