SHORT SOLENT MARK IV – 2014 WINTER BUILD

Started by wollins, September 03, 2014, 11:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

Well here we go again! I've decided to build the Short Solent Mk IV ... at this point I'm leaning toward the livery of ZK-AMO "Aranui" which used to be operated by Tasman Empire Airways Limited (TEAL) which was the forerunner of Air New Zealand.

TEAL operated a total of five Solent 4s between 1949 and 1960 on their scheduled routes between Sydney, Fiji and Auckland. The last TEAL Solent service was flown between Fiji and Tahiti on 14 September 1960 by ZK-AMO "Aranui", which is now preserved at the Museum of Transport and Technology in Auckland. 

SOLENT HISTORY

The Solent history is quite convoluted since it was one of a few derivatives of the Empire boat S.23. This original was later developed into the improved but externally similar S.30. Later they did three larger S.26 boats, Golden Hind, golden Fleece and Golden Horn

The S.25 was the Sunderland I, which has a lot in common with the smaller S.25 / S.30 Empire boats, but has a deeper hull plus the obvious militarization. Later Marks I and II went through various minor equipment / engine / armament upgrades.

Sunderland III was really the definitive machine - it has the step taken out of the hull chine, in favor of a nice sweeping curve - water and air drag reduced. I was fortunate to do an actual "walk through" tour of one of these behemoths during my visit to the RAF museum in London in March of 2013. (http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research/collections/short-sunderland-mr5

The Hythe and Sandringham were civilian conversions of existing Sunderland airframes. The Sunderland IV (type S.45) was a bit bigger than the I to III, and renamed Seaford, only 8 built. The Sunderland V was basically a III with Twin Wasps instead of Pegasus engines. Some of these became Sandringhams.

The Solent is type S.45a, a civilian development of the larger Seaford (Sunderland IV). The derivatives can be summarized thus:

S.23: First Empire flying boat series.
S.30:  Improved Empire flying boat series.
S.26: Further improved Empire flying boat
Sunderland Mk.I: Initial Sunderland production variant.
Sunderland Mk.II:  More powerful engines & armament.
Sunderland Mk.III: Revised hull configuration.
Sunderland Mk.V: Twin Wasp instead of Pegasus radials
Seaford:  Sunderland Mk.IV, better armament.
Hythe: Passenger conversion of Sunderland Mk.III.
Sandringham Mk.I: Improved passenger mod, Pegasus engines
Sandringham Mk.II: Improved passenger mod, Twin Wasp engines.
Solent Mk.2: Passenger version of Seaford
Solent Mk.3: Seaford conversions to passenger use
Solent Mk.4: Seaford conversions to passenger use
(Referenced from http://www.airvectors.net/avsund.html)

Have I lost you yet? Eyes glazed and bloodshot? Lol!

Bottom line is this. The Short Solent is very similar to the Short Sandringham. (since they're like cousins I guess!) It is slightly (2 feet) wider in the hull but the main visual difference is the sweep up to the fin, the use of spinners, the nacelles (larger air intakes top and bottom) and tip floats with spread struts.

I decided on this model because I LOVE the look of the plane, it just seems to have great presence. It's gonna be a bit more of a challenge than the CL-415 in some ways (plans are not scale) and I think easier in others. (not so much finicky bits as far as I can see)

This is gonna be based on Ivan Pettigrew's plans. Scale 1/14.5  Span 100 inches.  Wing area 1,200 sq. ins.  Length 74 inches. I say "based on" because Ivan is known for rather boxy designs (not so scale as I mentioned before) and incredibly light airframes.  It is my intention/goal (as this stage! Lol!) to make this as scale as humanly possible, so I suspect that there will be major additions/modifications to his plans.

Typically his Solents are built to weigh around EIGHT pounds ... I'm hoping to come in at fifteen pounds.  Since this aircraft has a wing area of 1200sq inches, at fifteen pounds that's a wing cube loading of 10! Therefore she should fly like a trainer at 15 pounds.

About to order a truckload of wood and all the other stuff that make this sort of stuff possible and I must say it's a somewhat daunting prospect! However I'm up for the challenge and now that I have the experience gained from the 415 I think I should be able to pull it off. ;)  Based on my experience last time and the lessons learned (re: duration of build!) I intend to start October 1st 2014 to finish May 1st 2015! Now based on my history with deadlines, don't hold me to it, but it is my intention! Lol!
Colin

P.S. The first pic is of the full size.  The second is of a model that I hope to emulate.
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Papa

Like you could fool us, Colin. We know this is just an excuse for another holiday, this time new Zealand, to photograph the original.

Check out the museum guys it may have examples you would like photographed.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

piker

This is going to be so cool!

I'll have my Sandringham flying again for the Spring, and I hope to have my Stranraer ready too.  Michael will have the Albatross ready, Glenn will hopefully have a new Schneider Trophy racer ready, and we will have to two water bombers flying together.  Wow!  I wonder what else will be ready for the float fly's next year!

wollins

Quote from: Papa on September 03, 2014, 11:13:10 AM
Like you could fool us, Colin. We know this is just an excuse for another holiday, this time new Zealand, to photograph the original.

I wish Jack!  That's actually one of my dream destinations ... but the cost is KILLER! Hopefully one day cause my wife actually has family there.

Colin
|
|
|

Michael

Michael

wollins

Quote from: wollins on September 03, 2014, 11:01:20 AM
I intend to start October 1st 2014 to finish May 1st 2015!

Based on my reference photos (see vid) I have already modified my deadline to now read like this:

I intend to start October 1st 2014 to finish whenever I get done! lol!

http://youtu.be/TUXiECmRnFQ

Colin
|
|
|

Wingnutz

Colin,
Wonderful airplane choice! Love the build schedule!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

wollins

I need some help identifying six "objects" on the plane.  I figured if I'm gonna try to replicate stuff I should at least know what they are! lol! I'm gonna do a separate post for each of them with their accompanying pics ... just so it doesn't get too confusing. If anyone can ID these I'd appreciate it.  I'm gonna post a specific pic of each and then another pic of it in its general location ... so as to give some context.

First off is something that looks to me like some sort of antenna? It's located on both sides of the fuse in the same spot. 

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

Next up is a couple of pics of something I can't even guess at.  Again located in the exact same position on both sides of fuse.
|
|
|

wollins

Next up is a couple of pics of something that looks like an antenna with lights? Again I can't even guess at.  Located at the top just behind the cockpit?
|
|
|

wollins

Next up is three pics of some sort of grill located on only the RIGHT wing on the leading edge, near the fuse.
|
|
|

wollins

Next up is some sort of bubble dome.  Located on the top of the fuse somewhat behind the cockpit?
|
|
|

wollins

Last is a couple of oblong black topped domes also at the top of fuse near the bubble dome.
|
|
|

Papa

The "H" shaped thing is probably a directional antenna for detecting radio beams for navigation.
The Dome was to allow celestial shots also for navigation during dark.
The two brass bars on the tail, probably static discharge contacts.
The wing intake probably for fresh air for the cabin, routed past a heater from the engine.
The slotted thing near the "H" antenna possibly a stale air extractor from the cabin.
The black domes possibly inspection points for the control surface cables.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Papa

Had another look at the black domes and since they are over the cabin they are more likely radio or navigation instrument covers.

Jack.
A motto to live by: