SHORT SOLENT MARK IV – 2014 WINTER BUILD

Started by wollins, September 03, 2014, 11:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

OK on further research, ain't retirement wonderful, the two brass tubes are pitot tubes. Short has done this on most of it's flying boats.

They also took in fresh air through the wing and also in front of the windscreen. The opening in the wing might also be an oil cooler inlet being so close to the engines.

Jack.

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

piker

Nice answers, Jack.

I just figured these are thing added to the full size, for modeller to replicate so they have something to knock off while walking through doors and putting the plane in the car.  No?

wollins

Quote from: piker on September 05, 2014, 10:45:32 AM
Nice answers, Jack.

I just figured these are thing added to the full size, for modeller to replicate so they have something to knock off while walking through doors and putting the plane in the car.  No?

lol!  You gave me a good laugh today with that one! I thought the same thing ... I can hardly get the 415 (fuse length 50") upstairs from the basement without jamming it on something much less this one at 75"! Anyways, just exploring my options here ... the fragile ones I can probably mount using small rare earth magnets to minimise damage. 

BTW, thanks a lot Jack ... can always count on you for valuable info!

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Papa

I'm sure the two black domes on top house radio and loran antennae.

The stream lined piece on the upper side just in front of the cockpit is most likely an exhaust chimney for the galley that was located just below @piker @wollins . The kitchen prepared fresh cooked meals, in flight, and had a range and stove and would need an extractor to pull fumes outside.

If you look at the black strip behind the stove there are two round openings that could be just such exhausts.

Jack.

A motto to live by:

wollins

And so it begins ... this came today.  I guess now I have to order some wood. Methinks I'll need a tree's worth!  :o ;D

Colin
|
|
|

piker

The nice thing about Ivan's super light build concept is that there's not a lot of wood in the plane.  Just a bunch of sticks.   :)

gordonbw

You guys have me thinking about taking on an Ivan seaplane build this winter.  Unlike Colin, I want to start with a fixed end date in mind, so I'm considering something a little bit simpler -- the 480 size Twin Otter (I like the fact the laser cut parts are available).  And yes, Rob, I'll put floats on it! 

piker

wollins

Getting up my wood order. When do you use basswood over spruce and vice versa ... and what the heck is the difference between the two?  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

Papa

It depends on what's common to the designers location.

Spruce is the more common and can be used in place of basswood.

My preference is for OBECHI but I'm old fashioned that way.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Gregor77

wollins

Quote from: piker on September 08, 2014, 01:24:43 PM
The nice thing about Ivan's super light build concept is that there's not a lot of wood in the plane.  Just a bunch of sticks.   :)

When have you known me to follow a plan?  ;)

National Balsa Wood list: (CDN $230)

3/16 x 3/16 x 48 sticks - 20 
1/8 x 3/16th x 48  sticks - 8
1/4 x 4 x 48 sheet - 2
1/16th x 4 x 36 sheet medium/soft - 18
1/16th x 4 x 36 sheet medium/soft (rib stock) - 4
3/32 sheet x 3 x 36 m/s - 8
3/32 sheet hard x 3 x 36 - 6
3/32 sheet x 3 x36 (rib stock) - 4
LE/TE stock ¼ X 1 X 48 - 5
LE/TE stock 5/16/ x 1 1 /4 x 48 - 5
1/8x1/8 x 48 spruce  - 4
3/32 – 12x12 birch ply - 2
1/16 – 12x48 birch ply

Miscellaneous
¼ x ¼ x 36 balsa Triangle - 2
3/8 x 3/8 x 36 balsa Triangle - 2
3 X 3 X 12 Balsa block - 1
|
|
|

battlestu

holy smokes that is a lot of balsa ... guessing it would have been cheaper to buy a lumber mill ;)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Papa

Go to Exotic Woods in Burlington and buy logs. You can cut it down on a band saw or a table saw with a thin kerf blade.. Much cheaper and you will be sanding it on the model anyway.  http://www.exotic-woods.com/product.aspx?s=balsa

jack.
A motto to live by:

wollins

Quote from: battlestu on September 15, 2014, 03:09:38 PM
holy smokes that is a lot of balsa

That's what I thought ... but truth be told there are some extras in there for a couple of extra planes. (did someone say "Morphine"? ;) )
|
|
|