2014 Skills Challenge

Started by Papa, September 11, 2014, 04:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

Once again the dreaded Skills Challenge is upon us. Considered by many of our club members as their favourite fun Fly. It is the unofficial end to our season and a ton of fun. This year there are eight challenges some old favourites and some new ones to spice things up. If you have never attended then come out for a treat. Spectacular flying, great comments from the large peanut gallery, its simply a lot of fun.

I have attached the rules and regulations, such as they are, so that some of our more dedicated participants can start working on their model choices.

I have added a ninth skill. Blame Eric Hagens!

The date is the 28th!

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

battlestu

First can't wait... second what is the approximate weight of the bombs?
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

imran13

Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Papa

OK the second #2 is a duplicate.

The weight maybe two or three ounces??

jack
A motto to live by:

Eric Adventurer

Cool! Can't wait. Missed last years.
No heli challenge this year?!
Hint Hint!!!  :P

Papa

Be careful what you wish for, it may just come true and become your nightmare. Check out the ninth challenge.

LOL

Jack.
A motto to live by:

imran13

I was just thinking about how to create a bomb-drop mechanism for the challenge, and I thought: wouldn't it be easier to use golf balls as opposed to water balloons? With water balloons, there's the risk that they'll burst midflight, but if we use golf balls, they're small enough to fit in most configurations, as well as heavy enough to not get blown away by wind. I can supply them if you think its a good idea, I have a bunch lying around.
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Papa

My concern with golf balls is the weight and if they go astray they could bounce into the crowd. I'm leaning towards a golf ball sized ball made from a tissue filled with flour and tied up with a rubber band.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Papa

Heli Challenge will consist of a victim that has to be lifted and transported to base. It will be an irregular tin plate shape about 15g in total weight. The attached, scanned image, is full size on 8.5" x 11" paper. I would suggest you consider using a 3/4" or 1" magnet that you can get at Princess Auto.

Good Luck.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Michael

A magnet on a string hanging down from a model heli could be a serious danger.
Michael

imran13

Well I don't think it would necessarily have to be hanging on a string... If the skids are far enough apart on the heli, then they could just touch down and hope the magnet grabs.

Papa

A motto to live by:

Papa

Sunday is fast approaching!

I hope all you heli guys have your magnet set up worked out.

The bomb drop will be a tissue ball of flour tied up with a rubber band. About the size of a golf ball. How you hold it in place on your model will be up to you. Figure it out now!

Will need volunteers at Rogo Field from about 10:30 on. Need to set up challenges and mark circles and landing carrier etc.

You will have to sign up for each challenge so get there early.

Have fun.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

gmcnic

Quote from: Papa on September 26, 2014, 11:52:17 AM
Will need volunteers at Rogo Field from about 10:30 on. Need to set up challenges and mark circles and landing carrier etc.

I will be there Sunday morning. :)
Great job on the weather, Jack!!

Papa

Here's a picture of the "BOMB"

"VICTIM" for Heli SAR Challenge will be available for magnet testing from about 10:30am.

Fun in the Sun!

Jack.
A motto to live by: