Going to Orangeville Sept 27 for EF-1 racing

Started by Frank v B, September 14, 2014, 08:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Frank v B

Done deal:  The Country Style at 9 and 27 at 8:30 am for those who need to top up their caffein levels.  We will leave as soon as Simon arrives.  We will leave the Donut Shop by 9 am and convoy to the field.

Gentlemen, start your engines.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Polecat

That's great planning guy's, Greg H knows how to get to the field, I hope. I will be leaving for the field at 8:30am to put the pylons up.
Have to move a couple of tables to the pit area, we only have a work station and picnic table, I am bringing a table, will wait for help to move tables. Anyone who has a small folding table bring it along.
I will also bring bottled water and pop, there will be no cost, its on me.
See you all Sat., the weather looks great.
Go Fast, Turn Left, Lots of Fun!!!

Ken

battlestu

Quote from: piker on September 25, 2014, 01:56:48 PM
Hey!  While you're meeting for breaky, why not scoot around the corner and check out this pond for me.  Let me know if it's a potential float flying site  ;D

Pictures would be great...

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Country+Style+Donuts,+Ontario+9,+Schomberg,+ON+L0G+1T0/44.0081932,-79.6702731/@44.008418,-79.6767445,1445m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!4m7!1m5!1m1!1s0x882adc26a33ffcc7:0x34e45021c6968016!2m2!1d-79.678032!2d44.011457!1m0

To quote a great man "soitenly"
Rob we can get a picture for you
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Ededge2002

That has a very water treatment plant look to it.....  the photo might not capture the true value of the flying site in this situation...

hope its other wise but you've been warned!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

thehaze

I'll be there for breakfast at 8:30.

Can't wait!
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

piker

Quote from: Ededge2002 on September 26, 2014, 09:59:00 PM
That has a very water treatment plant look to it.....  the photo might not capture the true value of the flying site in this situation...

That's why I need eyes... and noses... on the ground  :o

Frank v B

Just got home from the EF-1 flying lessons offered to 6 TEMAC boys by our six of our friends from the Orangeville Club.  We had a riot, learned a lot and will be much better racers for the experience.  Graham, our own one man cheering team, will download some photos when he gets home.
TEMAC was represented by Simon, Greg H., Mike H., Glenn and Graham.

Highlights:
- we flew mostly 2 planes at a time because this was a 3 pylon race where you stand in the middle versus our two pylon where we stand on a flight line.  Standing in the middle is odd.  Like flying control line without the line but with the dizziness.
- Simon didn't buy the farm but that one tree now has his name on it.  The plane will fly again.
- Greg's amazing smoke pump at the end of the race.  Sorry, that was the white smoke of defeat from the seized motor.  ;D [size=78%] The plane and battery were fine.[/size]
- Mike H. borrows a Nooner to race and then expected it to have working ailerons as well.  An RC lawn dart.  It is fine. :)
- Ken flew his scary .40 powered nitro pylon racer.  All of a sudden half a dozen people moved back 100 feet from the race course.  I can't imagine the sound of four of these in a race.
-  The Nooners were faster than the EF-1's but nowhere as precise.  What, me.... precise?  Go for it Andy :)
- We had several 3 Nooner races and they were a blast.

Thank you Ken for your hospitality and putting up with us.

Frank

battlestu

Quote from: piker on September 27, 2014, 04:10:27 PM
Quote from: Ededge2002 on September 26, 2014, 09:59:00 PM

That's why I need eyes... and noses... on the ground  :o

as promised i dropped in on the site and Ed was right it's a "Water Pollution Control Plant" and it's locked up tight

sorry Rob

Greg
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

Hats off to Ken Fluney for a fabulous day! Great hospitality, great company and a great flying site.

Oh, and 1 great big bloody tree on the landing approach!  :'(

thehaze

Yes what an awesome time!

Lot's of racing, laughs and a great bunch of guys.

Thanks again to Ken for organizing the day and ordering up perfect weather.
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Polecat

It was a pleasure having the Temac and Brantford guys up to our field for a little pylon fun. The weather gods where with us.
What a fun day and many laughs.
Thanks to everyone.

Ken

Frank v B

re: Simon's "Oh, and 1 great big bloody tree on the landing approach! " [/size][/b][/size][/font][/color]

I checked in the book Trees for Dummies (chapter 1 was "You idiot, the roots are in the ground!") and the tree was identified either as a Beechcliffe or a Hinchwillow.  Will narrow it down shortly when I get past chapter 1. ;D

Frank

cpaine

It was a fantastic day! I enjoy the camaraderie that your group shares. As well as putting some faces to the people on this forum.
I enjoy the Coaching of new racers, I think I only flew 3 times!! I helped Glen mostly and he was flying pretty smooth and fast!
there was a few mishaps, but these things happen.

Highlight for me?
was racing my dad... Lap for lap.... low and fast. Its hard to express how much that meant to me. he taught me everything, and you could tell neither of us was gonna give an inch!! i wish that quad copter had caught that one, maybe next time.

I think we could have an actual race next year with heats....

untill next time
maac #26951

sihinch

I think this picture says it all.