RedEagle Kit update.

Started by Papa, October 14, 2014, 11:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

The good news is I have the kits and they are in excellent condition. The bad news is Canada Border Services opened the box and decided to charge Sales Tax. So you all owe me $5.00 more except Frank who overpaid. We'll distribute them at the class. That way Robert can guide you as to how to work with the kit.

For your first time you need to know how to free the parts, how to avoid damage, how to identify similar but different parts, which side is up and how to read plans. For these reasons we will hand out the kits at the first class. Robert will also cover basic tools, techniques, adhesives and safety.

Looking forward to being a part of this exciting build.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Papa

Except Michael we'll give him his kit two weeks before the maiden as a handicap. That way he can maiden with the rest of us.

LOL

Jack.
A motto to live by:

piker

O.K.  I picked up my kit from Jack a bit early so I could look it over and know what to expect for our building sessions.

Other than having to learn Dutch, the plans are straight forward and kit is very complete with a lot of the work already done for us, so it'll be an excellent choice for our new builders.  AND, it'll be a very nice plane to have for those calm evenings, and sunny afternoons.  It's very cool! (I'll probably put mine on floats  ;D  )

Jack will be handling the first build class on the 27 as I will be tied up with the Morphine build session.  But after that, you get ME as the teacher.  And I throw chalk!

TonvM

If you guys need any help with your Dutch just ask :).

Looking forward to the first build pics.

Ton

Frank v B

I have just translated the plans and will hand them to Jack tomorrow at the Skywriter build session.

You know the joke about the definition of HELL.  Hell is the place where:
- the British are the cooks
- the Swedish are the comedians
- the Spaniards run the railroads
- the Germans run the police force
- the Belgians are the taxi chauffeurs
... and the language spoken is Dutch! ;D

Frank van Beurden
"Never trade luck for skill"

Papa

Thank you Ton, for your interest. We will surely post lots of pictures to you and Rob at RBCKits. It will be an interesting class made up of absolute first timers who have to learn to read plans and understand balsa to skilled builders who love the joy of building and want to pass it on to newcomers to the hobby.
This spring we started a class building Lindsey Todd's Skywriter which we will be completing over the Winter. We also have an in-house team pylon racing series and we are teaching racers to build an own design. So all told we have some 32 models being built either from scratch or short kits.

Jack Higgins.
A motto to live by:

piker

Is that Ton, the designer of the Red Eagle?!

It's great to have you watching along, Ton!

I'm really looking forward to the build.  It'll be fun building along with some new builders, and the Red Eagle will be a wonderful model to fly, I'm sure!

TonvM

Hello Jack, Piker,

Great to see you guys have selected the RedEagle as one of the models for such a great project, or better to say 3 great projects. Rob told me so I did a search on the net and here I am, having a great time. I really do think its fantastic that you guys have started a project with the Linds Skywriter. Not the easiest model for a first model build but when ready a great looking model to see and fly. And then the Pylon racers woooo that should be fun building and doing a race. Have been flying pylon race models and its lots of fun doing that.  How did you do that, motivating 32 modellers to start building models instead of going the ARF route. Its just how it should go with all the modeling clubs all over the world. Iam trying my best and have a build group at our club and we are with 5 modellers, but there are more modellers who made a start and 14 models of the RedEagle are in the making with 10 models now flying.  I have started a competition with the RedEagle doing a 30 sec climb and max 10 min flight with target landing. Man that is just so much fun doing that and Iam sure there will be more RedEagle's to come.

Thanks for selecting the RedEagle and enjoy the build.
Groetjes vanuit Holland, Ton

sihinch

That sounds like a great challenge Ton! I think Jack will probably include it in our skills challenge!

And thanks for all the encouraging words. Great to have you here, on our forum!

Papa

Good Morning RedEagle Builders.

Next Monday, October 27 is our first meeting; It's at Col. Mustard's on Hwy 7. Get there between 5:30 and 6:30 for wings etc. We start at 7:00 downstairs in the party room. I won't be sending out reminders regarding subsequent meetings. They are in the calendar on the web site so look them up if you're not sure. I know its voting day so vote early and then do some fun stuff with a glider.
The first meeting will be an orientation meeting which I will discuss below. We are going to try something different with this build. We are going to have you build at the meetings. What you don't complete can be taken home for finishing. We tried this at the Skywriter Build last night and it was very well received.

Ton van Munsteren, the designer is following us on our web site so check his comments. This is so neat and shows that he is a designer who cares.

Orientation meeting.

Since we are building at the meetings you will need a portable board to work on. I suggest you buy a pine shelf at Home Depot, 48" x 12 or 14". A sheet of 1" pink foam to fit the shelf. You could use Gyproc in place of the foam.
You will need a carry bag or box with a handle for your tools and bits and pieces.
I will distribute some safety information regarding glues, paints, solvents and woods.
We will give you a list of basic tools you will need to get started.
You should have the board and tools ready for the second meeting.
I will do "reading plans 101" for anyone who is unfamiliar with model airplane plans, symbols and terminology.

This will be so much fun and a great way to use up a dreary Fall and Winter Monday.
A motto to live by:

Bigstik

Seems like a fun project. How much
are the kits?

Bigstik
Bigstik

Papa

Hi Al, because we bought a bulk order and shipped to a single address it came out at $105.00 per kit.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

TonvM

Frank, did send you an RedEagle build manual and raad eens wat de taal is ;D   

Quote from: Frank v B on October 19, 2014, 08:54:20 PM

... and the language spoken is Dutch! ;D

Frank van Beurden

Frank v B

Piker and Jack,

I have printed a copy of the Redeagle building instructions that Ton sent me.  I will bring it along and translate.... if you are nice to me ;D .

It will be much easier to build the plane than to have you translate the Dutch instructions... Hah!!!

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

Will the plane look different if it's built in Dutch?
Michael