RedEagle Kit update.

Started by Papa, October 14, 2014, 11:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

Yes, they use metric size wood and we use imperial!

It will have an accent.

LOL

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

flying IT

it will look like flying klompen  (wooden shoe)
or the "flying dutchman"

Papa

Now for some serious stuff.

Next meeting Bring your build boards, tools and we will build the stabilizer, fin and rudder.

To save time remove them from the balsa sheets. sand all the nubs off them. The nubs are the small pieces left where they were attached.

Note the ribs on the sheet with the fuselage tail are the tip sections.

There are two ribs on the section with the fuselage front, they are end ribs and have a full trailing edge profile.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Papa

Here are two pictures illustrating the comment regarding the webbing.

jack.
A motto to live by:

Gerald Danen

Good Morning Jack, thanks for your email of October 30th detailing the tools and materials needed, very helpful.  I have a question regarding the building board.  How should we attach the pink foam to the substrate board?  I have a 1" piece of particle board 24" x 48" and a 2" piece of pink foam to attach to that.  Do I glue it or tape around the edges?

Gerald
"Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance."

Papa

Hi Gerald, there are three answers!

Since it's 2" foam you can use it without the particle board. It's stiff enough on it's own.

You can glue it but just use a few blobs of glue in the corners so you can reverse the board down the road.

Taping the ends will also work, just overlap the tape so it sticks.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Papa

Reminder. Building starts tomorrow at Col. Mustard's. 6:00pm for food and 7:00pm for the class.

Bring your Boards, Tools etc. We will be building the Fin, Rudder, Stabilizer and Elevator so you will need all the parts for these.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Michael

I notice that the instructions ask for the leading edges of the stabilizer and fin to be rounded, but I don't see any instructions for beveling the hinged edges.

Did I miss something?

Are they left square with just a bit of space between them?
Michael

Papa

I believe the trailing edge of the stabilizer is straight and the leading edge of the elevator is rounded. The rudder is rounded at the leading edge and tapered at the trailing edge. the taper is not a lot, leave about 1/8" of thickness at the trailing edge and round that.

jack.
A motto to live by:

piker

Awesome building group tonight!  You should have seen all the activity!

Model airplane building is alive and well in TEMAC!

battlestu

thanks again for the classes!! Grace had a great time and is already asking when we can get to our "homework" ;)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Oscar

Thank you so much for organizing the class. I learn so much from all of you. Frank, Michael, Robert, Jack, Gerald. THANK YOU!

Papa

Another little quirk!

Have you noticed that the slot in the rudder is 1/16" and the horn is 1/8".

Having drilled both my horns I just cut the base down to 1/16".

Alternatively you could make new ones out of 1/16' ply.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

piker

Another great class last night, although we were missing a couple of people.

Actually, it wasn't so much a class as a group build session.  We worked away at our fuselages in an effort to complete them and start on the wings in the new year.  Most of us can't go much further until we finalized the motor, spinner, and prop selection, so we know where and how to mount the motor. 

I tested my motor when I got home last night to determine the size of the folding prop I want.  I'm using the motor (and servos, 30A ESC, and Rx) from my retired Park Zone Spitfire.  I figured it would be fun to recycle the gear and save some cash.  But I threw out the beat-up plastic prop that came with the plane before taking note of the size.  Anyway, I mounted the motor on a test fixture and mounted an APC 11x8 prop on the motor.  With a 3 cell battery it pulled just over 30A, so I figure an 11x7 or 11x6 folder will do nicely.

electroflyer

Hey Jack,
  So what are the plans, are there to be two meter glider competitions?

Glenn