Morphine Build Group

Started by piker, October 18, 2014, 09:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

O.K.  Things are coming along.  I have a new set of plans drawn up and a full, step by step instruction sheet written. I also have a Bill of Materials, a required tools list, and recommended equipment list written.

I plan to build (to ready for covering) a Morphine based on these plans and instructions to make sure I haven't forgotten anything, and that everything fits together based on the plans.  I will build a second Morphine that will be a little less complete to show the internal construction, and a set of parts for a third, showing the starting point and the wing sheeting process (although the instruction describe it too)

I will provide, here, in a couple of days, the Bill of Materials so those attending the build session on the 27th can have their wood purchased and ready to start.  I'll have copies of the plans, wing cores, and instructions ready for the 27th.  Note that in order to build the fuselage, you have to have your motor with you, or at least a motor that represents a typical motor.  This is so you can roll a ply motor tube around the motor

If you'd like to get your plans early, so you can start cutting out the parts and build along with me at the build season, I can probably arrange to get them to you.  I'll see if I can get copies made on my way to the MAAC AZM tomorrow.

I've created a system for mass producing cut wing cores and based on my first trial cut it seems to work very well, and the delicate little core is very accurate.  I just need to find some time to set it up in my garage and start cutting.  I'll have the cores ready for the build session on the 27th

One of my primary objectives with this planes was to create a smooth flying, sleek, racer that is quick and easy to build.  I think you guys will have fun with the build.

sihinch

I went to A&J today and Pinnacle last week. Local balsa stocks for square and triangle stock aren't great. Sheets were well stocked at A&J.

Getting all the wood for 27th may be a problem.

piker

The Morphine doesn't use triangle stock.  I went with 1/4 square on the plans.

I cut my 1/4 square stock from 1/4" sheet.  I actually prefer that way as it's a way of getting lighter sticks.

If anyone has a hard time finding 1/4" square, get some soft 1/4" sheet and bring it to the build class on the 27th.  I'll bring my balsa stripper.

Crazyflyer

Hi Guys,
Has anyone in the group been using a Hobbyking motor competitively this year for the Piker racing?   ???
Can you let me know which motors are used so that I can compare specs?   :-X
Thanks,
Stephan

battlestu

Hi Stephan... i was using this guy from HK:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15187__S2838_2800_Brushless_Inrunner_2800kv_.html

it ran alright but a few dirt naps later it was sounding a little ruff.
Greg
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Crazyflyer

Thanks Greg, that is the one I was actually thinking about but wasn't sure how competitive I would be.  I hear that some are going with higher amp motors (higher than recommended for the ESC since you only get spikes during launch and strong turns).

Anyone else willing to share their specs?

Quote from: battlestu on October 20, 2014, 04:42:10 PM
Hi Stephan... i was using this guy from HK:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15187__S2838_2800_Brushless_Inrunner_2800kv_.html

it ran alright but a few dirt naps later it was sounding a little ruff.
Greg

battlestu

not sure if an HK motor is going to hit the spot (motors are not very efficient) Rob passed me this motor (still need to return):

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLM2005

and i'm pretty happy with it and will look at getting one or two of my own.

Greg
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

I run Mega 16/15/3 and 16/15/4 and HET 3W

piker

For Simon and anyone else who may be interested.  Here's the airfoil I'm using for the Morphine cores:

sihinch

What's interesting is that this airfoil is designed for flying wings and tailless aircraft. So I guess it must have a very low moment coefficient.

piker

Ya, and it looks about right   ;D

Eric Adventurer

>>> What's interesting is that this airfoil is designed for flying wings and tailless aircraft
Simon, is that so that you can continue flying even after a mid air that would have claimed the tail of your craft?  ;D

Eric AKA "First 1/2 of your local synchronized aerobatic team"
BTW, Loved the comment Simon. Sorry I couldn't oblige on demonstrating the mid-air. Need more training one that. When are you and Cadez flying together next? ;-)

Bigstik

Any pictures of the Morphine? Sounds hot
Bigstik

piker

Hey Alan,

There's a picture I just took in the parking lot at work.  In other word, not the best composition, but you get the idea  ;D

piker

And here are a couple of shots of the wing cores under construction.

The first picture is of the messy job of chopping the foam sheets into blocks on the table saw.  Ugh!

The next is of the 60 cores (30 left and 30 right), ready for the build class tonight.

It's going to be fun!  I hope everyone can make it!