Morphine Build Pictures

Started by piker, October 27, 2014, 10:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electroflyer

I think I attained 25 amps when I installed a slightly larger prop before the second race of the day last year. By chance, this also turned out to be my last race of the day and the last race ever for my Nooner....imagine that.

Glenn

Crazyflyer

So before I take the blame for letting people believe that the old CC18 can take 30amps and exploding mid-air, I would like to clarify that I was told that by a chinese motor manufacturer at the Toledo show where I was scoping for some motors... be warned!!
.... or actually nevermind, I think I heard you can push these to 40amps  ;D (to my team mates, stick to 20 so that you can actually finish the races!!)

Quote from: sihinch on April 17, 2015, 11:31:38 AM
But that old ESC never cut out!

Stephan told me that old CC18A ESCs can take 30A, so I found some old ones to buy on RCGroups!

It's still the same ESC boys!

Crazyflyer

Monocoat/Ultracoat covering question:
For the morphine fuselage, do you use 4 different pieces of vinyl (top, bottom, and sides) or can someone master using a single piece?
I don't have any issues with the flat surfaces however I am having some challenges with all the compound curves of the fuse, especially wrapping the front.

Would anyone be interested in a mini workshop for just for covering? Any masters in the covering arts willing to share their knowledge for an evening??
Stephan

sihinch

I just used 4 pieces, wrapped around the side a little, added in this order:

Bottom
Sides

Glenn gave me some great advice when I was repairing my morphine....

"It doesn't have to look good Simon, it's a racer!"

piker

You won't be able to wrap the covering around in one piece.  The accumulation of excess material at each end will be too much to shrink out.  The most you could hope for would be three sides, but even that would be very hard to manage and not worth the effort.  You should do as Simon suggests as far as number of pieces and order of application is concerned, but don't listen to him regarding the look of the racers   ;D

sihinch

Quote from: piker on April 24, 2015, 10:39:39 AM
don't listen to him regarding the look of the racers   ;D
Glenn @electroflyer said it!  :o

Crazyflyer

Thanks for the heads up, if only I had that info before I started!! Mine is definitely looking like a "Racer"!!
Could have been worst for my first scratch build balsa plane though!!
I just have to install the control horns and hook up the electronics.
Maiden and race tomorrow!!! Please wish me luck that it will even fly straight!!

sihinch

Looks great! Congrats Stephan.

piker

Excellent, Stephan!  The plane looks great and what a great job you've done to get ready for the race.

If I don't see you before the test flight... Good luck!

Did you get Eric's done too?    ;D

I never did post recommended throws as promised, but +/- 1/8" on ailerons and +/- 3/32" on Elevator is a good starting point.   Does that sound right to you, Simon, Glenn? 

sihinch

I made my ailerons smaller (to reduce drag and make it less sensitive) so I'm not sure.

But elevator, yes.

piker

Hey all you new Morphine builders (my competition.... ;D

Don't forget about the minimum 16oz flying weight rule!  I had to add 2 oz. of lead in my plane to make it legal.

Crazyflyer

I just did the covering of Eric's fuselage, the second go around is much better, especially with the four sided vinyl strips, I still had challenges on the front rounded corners with creasing and possibly over heating.
I am about to cover the wings now, again a little practice helps a lot but it still won't look great. Eric's will still look better than mine, however mine will be faster... I will make sure of that ... hahahaha (evil laugh of the younger brother)  8)

Stephan

Quote from: piker on April 24, 2015, 01:57:42 PM
Excellent, Stephan!  The plane looks great and what a great job you've done to get ready for the race.

If I don't see you before the test flight... Good luck!

Did you get Eric's done too?    ;D

I never did post recommended throws as promised, but +/- 1/8" on ailerons and +/- 3/32" on Elevator is a good starting point.   Does that sound right to you, Simon, Glenn?

Crazyflyer

Ok, the 2 morphines of the crazy frenchmen squadron are almost ready to go for tomorrow's race, just have to install the control arms and connect them to the servos.
With the batteries, they are about 500 grams ( 45 grams above minimum) but my CG is at 2-2.25" behind LE which is 1/4 or 1/2" too far back as per Robert's recommendation.
I am concerned that I may need to put some weights up front. Oh well, hopefully they fly properly and we get to race tomorrow.  ???

piker

Great job!

Being a bit further back than mine might be O.K.  I think mine is rather far forward.  If your CG is at about 1/3 the cord, it'll probably be fine.

What about your's, Simon and Glenn?

sihinch

My airframe weight is 356g plus 119g for battery. So race legal with no weight.

CG is about 1.75"