Morphine Build Pictures

Started by piker, October 27, 2014, 10:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazyflyer

I know this is the Morphine "build" picture thread but I think this "crash" picture still counts since it is part of the rebuild.
Oh and by the way, note to self, when you switch the elevator cable from the top to the bottom, make sure to reverse the servo!!!
Yeah I know it is dumb, for some reason I made sure to check that the ailerons were correct before flying but not the elevator  :'(
Anyways, here is the question: when my plane decided to act like an ostrich, the battery gave a very nice example of one of Newton's laws by plowing into the ESC and bending it against the motor (as per the picture). At this point the ESC still works, the actual question is whether I should trust the ESC to continue working or should I get a new one???

Papa

Absolutely not. Use as a bench tester maybe but don't risk it in a model.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Crazyflyer

Thanks Jack, in my next upgrade I am bringing the battery forward, about 1" in front of the wing LE to satisfy the proper CG, which means I can bring the ESC behind the battery. Should I still provide some ventilation for the motor or is the ventilation only required for the ESC?
Thanks,

Stephan

Papa

When you run an ESC at full throttle it generates very little heat. The power to the ESC is DC which is linear. The motor is AC which is cyclic. The ESC cycles the power from on to off to provide the alternating current. It does this by stopping the current to the motor for a fraction of a second at a time. While the current is stopped the power is still flowing from the battery. That stopped power has to be gotten rid of somehow. The ESC does that by converting it to heat. That is why at slow speed the power is stopped for longer periods and thus more heat.

The motor will always generate heat and require cooling. Some take a chance and eliminate cooling on the basis of the shortness of the run. You can get away with that approach with an expensive motor but not so much with a cheaper one.

Welcome to a world of compromise.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Crazyflyer

So yesterday my morphine's wings got pissed off at me and split !! ::) Mid air!!
Either that or the plane decided to imitate a corsair on a ship!!
I am learning way too much on this project, I enjoy building but I much prefer flying.
I realized afterwards that in my previous crash the wing had a bit of the monocoat damaged on the bottom which I didn't fix, which I can now assume helped a lot with the tension strength.
Now I have to learn about glassing the damn thing!!  :-\
Hopefully should be ready for race day.

sihinch

It can be repaired Stephan - I still race this wing.....

Crazyflyer

Well after an operation with a carbon rod, some Kevlar and a bit of glass fiber, I should be able to stand on this wing without it splitting  :o.
It probably won't look very purty but it will hopefully do the job for tomorrow.
Now if only the 30min epoxy would set so that I can sand it a bit and monocoat it, I would be much happier than if I have to wait until the morning and scramble to do that.

sihinch

wollins

Test flew this today. (yes, uncovered.  ;D) Uneventful ... slow and sluggish ... have to do some tweaking (CG, throws, etc) and streamline the nose to its final shape if I want to even look like a serious contender in the races.

Colin   
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

sihinch

Was great to see it fly Colin. Get it ready for Sunday, now!!!

wollins

Worst covering job I've ever done but hopefully it'll be so fast no one will notice! :) Also was able to shave an ounce off the test flight weight. Ready for Sunday!  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!