Michael's Red Eagle glider build log

Started by Michael, November 03, 2014, 08:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

6. Triangular pieces of balsa were glued at the rear of the firewall as extra support or bracing.

7. Once finished, the spinner can be removed and the front of the fuselage can be shaped as per the kit's instructions.

Michael

piker

Michael

I'm catching up!  ;D

Michael

Papa

Don't forget the 10mm of washout!

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

piker

Hey!  I have a wing that looks just like that!

Michael

A few more hours of work and then I can return to my Albatross.

Still to do:

1. Wing hold down bolts
2. Dowels in leading edge
3. Wing tips
4. Final sanding

Covering and gluing together comes later on.

Michael

Michael

All major construction and most sanding is done.

I've settled on a colour scheme, and you can get a sense of it in the photos in this post. It'll be a combination of transparent red and opaque white. I'm using Ultracote, and the multicolour design of course takes more time.

The other photos show some battery hatch detail.

I got the accurate curved hatch profile by gluing together 2 pieces of wood, and letting the wood dry as it sat taped down in position on its 'saddle' on the fuselage. Be careful not to let the hatch get glued to the fuselage.
Michael

Michael

I covered the wing tips, and then twisted the panels, held them as such, and then re-applied heat to the plastic covering.

This is how I achieved the approx. 1.00 cm 'wash-out' as required.

Michael

Michael

When I finished covering the wing panels, I realized that I had shrunk the covering material too much, and the end-ribs were pulled in, and wouldn't align properly.

My solution, which may not be the best, but does work, was as follows:

1. Glue the dihedral braces with epoxy into the panels, making sure everything is aligned as best as possible.

2. Fill some of the gaps with snug-fitting balsa scrap. (Once this entire process is finished, I can re-shrink the covering to remove any wrinkles.)

3. Cover the gap and scrap balsa with appropriately coloured covering.
Michael

Michael

Wings and fuselage covered.
Michael

Papa

What was your thinking for not gluing the tips to the centre panels before film covering?

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

I thought it might be easier to cover.

You're right, though, they should be glued first.
Michael

sihinch

But because you did it your way, Michael, you now have an awesome Starsky & Hutch glider!

Chucka chow chow bowawa!

Michael

Construction, covering and assembly are finished.

Still need to make a battery tray, balance and adjust moving surface deflections (throw).

Michael

Michael

I added a little extra black covering to simulate a canopy.
Michael